Skip to main content
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Register now to learn Fabric in free live sessions led by the best Microsoft experts. From Apr 16 to May 9, in English and Spanish.

SQL Server Connection in gateway not working with basic authentication

Using either an enterprise or gateway in personal mode, I have a database connection that does not seem to want to work.  It's using basic authentication which i have validated, I can refresh the report in Power BI Desktop, but it will not work through a gateway.  I have the connection set up on an enterprise gateway and it says "Connection Successful" and it has a checkmark on it.  I set up the dataset to use the enterprise gateway and when I try to run a refresh it fails with an error of "invalid connection credentials."  It is a SQL Server connection using basic authentication

Comments
v-qiuyu-msft
Community Support

Hi @precedence,

In your scenario, please check if the basic authentication login used in data gateway has permission to view corresponding data on SQL database side. When you refresh the dataset, please use SQL Profile to capture the trace. 

As you mentioned you can refresh successfully in Power BI desktop, please check if the credential used in the desktop is the same one in data gateway. 

By the way, try to update the gateway to the latest version. 

Best Regards,
Qiuyun Yu

Vicky_Song
Impactful Individual
Status changed to: Needs Info

precedence
Frequent Visitor

Definitely using the same credentials in the Power BI Desktop file, and it does have access.  I'll update the gateway and see if that resolves the issue.

Although when having the issue with the personal gateway rather than the enterpise gateway it was definitely the most recent gateway.

precedence
Frequent Visitor

Issue ended up being that the SSL certificate had the fully qualified domain name and not just the host name.  Changing the database connection to use the fully qualified domain named fixed the problem.  I guess my company doesn't have a standard for what name goes on the SSL cert or we changed the standard sometime in the past.

It would be nice if this didn't matter, because it doesn't seem to matter in other platforms connecting to the server.

Thanks!