Skip to main content
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Earn the coveted Fabric Analytics Engineer certification. 100% off your exam for a limited time only!

SQL Dumper.exe - registry

Hi there,

My Powerbi desktop did crash today and I cannot get it back to work anymore. I followed the solution on previous tickets, fully removed PBI form my laptop, downloaded the newest version and installed it again, restarted my laptop multiple times, but I was not successfull. Once the error message was slightly different and stated some registry issue as well

I checked these solutions, not worked.

http://community.powerbi.com/t5/Desktop/SQLDUMPER-EXE-BlackWindow-Closes-Power-BI/m-p/330409

https://community.powerbi.com/t5/Issues/PowerBI-Desktop-Crashes-December-2017-Update/idi-p/325320

Please advise.

Comments
szlipcsei
Frequent Visitor

PBI desktop crashes.JPG

This is the screen I receive all the time

v-qiuyu-msft
Community Support

Hi @szlipcsei,

Would you please share detail steps to reproduce the issue? 

Did the desktop crash when you open the report or after do some specific action? 

Best Regards,
Qiuyun Yu 

Vicky_Song
Impactful Individual
Status changed to: Needs Info

szlipcsei
Frequent Visitor

This happened first on Thursday when I turned on the preview feature of Q&A on PBI desktop.

Since then I can't open any reports not even an empty new desktop, this happened on Tuesday to a couple of other people at my department when they received PBI training.

Hope this helps.

Regards, Szilárd

szlipcsei
Frequent Visitor

This morning it asked me to download the latest version, although I did that multiple times and the version what I had to download dates back to the 8th of January. I did it and re-installed it.

I could open an empty one, but as soo as I tried to do anything, the black window appeared and shut it down righ away.

Manu1977
Regular Visitor

I have the same problem..... please fix!!!!

v-qiuyu-msft
Community Support

@szlipcsei Please download and install the latest Power BI desktop version 2.54.4970.961 then test again. 

@Manu1977 Did you run the latest desktop version? Would you please share detail steps for us to reproduce the issue? 

Best Regards,
Qiuyun Yu 

szlipcsei
Frequent Visitor

@v-qiuyu-msft

Hi Qiuyun Yu,

I did this again and I downloaded exactly from here on Monday. There is no change when I open the empty or any reports it shuts down right away.

I don't think this is the issue anymore .... I think I did this at least 10 times in the last couple of days downloading it from multiple sources .... I opened a ticket with our IT, but they don't seem to be able to do anything.

I tested it on one of my colleagues computer and logged into powerbi desktop and I had no issue of running or opening any reports.

Do you suggest that I need to reinstall my whole computer?

Manu1977
Regular Visitor

@v-qiuyu-msft

The problem arrived after the january update of Power BI.

I've removed the old version and download the new one, but I've received the same result! I try to open my file, but appears a black window SLQDUMPER.EXE and then closes program.

I've removed again the new version and reinstalled the december version, but all the same situation.

This morning I've tried again. I've removed the old version and dowload and install the new one. The problem is the same.

I  need to use the program urgentely!!! Please help me.

szlipcsei
Frequent Visitor

@v-qiuyu-msft

Anyone there? 🙂 I don't understand why my ticket states "needs info" when I answered for everything on time and someone else posts on my issue (which I am ok with) but I still should be helped .... till it's answered by the other person ....