Skip to main content
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Earn the coveted Fabric Analytics Engineer certification. 100% off your exam for a limited time only!

SQL Data Refresh Error in PowerQuery / PBID since Nov 2020 update

This only happens in the NOV 2020 Verison of PowerBI Desktop,

An error happened while reading data from the provider: 'The type initializer for 'Microsoft.Data.SqlClient.SNINativeMethodWrapper' threw an exception.'

When I try to refresh from PBID or connect via PowerQuery this error shows.

I have opened the file in OCT 2020 version of PBID and connections work, just get lots of other general errors and the DataModel does not load since I clicked the Upgrade button in the Nov2020 version. 

Only found this when I tried to edit some of the model queries. Since the update I published and ran the refresh from the service and no problems, only seems to be within PowerBI Desktop and PowerQuery

The only other wierd item I noticed was that my PowerQuery folder structure all exploded and was not active, many of the Helper Files (from reading files in folders generated by powerquery) started to load in the model and were not before, had to manually unload from model.

Comments
v-chuncz-msft
Community Support

@cjpcman01 

I tried the latest version (2.87.923.0but cannot reproduce the issue. You may also create a support ticket for assistance if necessary.

JaxBlackmore
Regular Visitor

I have this error too.  I'm not sure when my PBI desktop updated to the November release but I can no longer refresh my data within my reports.  When trying to connect to my SQL database i get these two errors

An error happened while reading data from the provider: 'The type initializer for 'Microsoft.Data.SqlClient.SNINativeMethodWrapper' threw an exception.'

An error happened while reading data from the provider: 'The type initializer for 'Microsoft.Data.SqlClient.TdsParser' threw an exception.'

I'm on Version: 2.87.762.0 64-bit (November 2020)

JaxBlackmore
Regular Visitor

I downloaded and installed the latest version (2.87.923.0 64-bit (November 2020)) and that seemed to correct it.  So worth a try if you get the above errors.

cjpcman01
Frequent Visitor

I did the update and same issue, even tried a new blank file and click get data and the same error appears when the table list shows...

cjpcman01
Frequent Visitor

ok I did the manual dowload of the update the problem is resolved... seems to be issue with the AppStore Updated Version...

https://www.reddit.com/r/PowerBI/comments/jwctaa/powerbi_error_the_type_initializer_for/

JaxBlackmore
Regular Visitor

Mine worked for a few days and the error has come back!