Skip to main content
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Register now to learn Fabric in free live sessions led by the best Microsoft experts. From Apr 16 to May 9, in English and Spanish.

SAP BW Dataflow Connector

Currently running into some difficulties editing dataflows within the PBI Service that connect to SAP BW:

• Partitioning the data pull due to SAP BW memory issues 
  • Able to set it all up within PBI Desktop and refresh it manually, however unioning the data can sometimes fail due to memory issues
  • Moved all of the above to be dataflows
  • Able to create the dataflow initially and refresh it via PBI Gateway - seems to work so far

Started to receive an error when pulling this data into PBI desktop around "there were more columns in the result than expected" - unsure why so following advice from a different post: https://community.powerbi.com/t5/Service/DataFlow-Refresh-Error-and-Fix-for-added-Fields-in-Dynamics...

However, I've found that I am unable to edit the entities within the dataflow due to the following error and unclear why (especially since I am able to create the dataflow and refresh in the first place):

DataSource.MissingClientLibrary: This error could've been the result of provider-specific client software being required, but missing on this computer. To download client software for this provider, visit the following site and choose the 64-bit (x64) version of, at minimum, 'SAP .NET Connector 3.0.0.42': https://go.microsoft.com/fwlink/?linkid=872300

Details
ClientLibraryName = SAP .NET Connector 3.0.0.42

Should also point out, the dataflow still appears to refresh.

Comments
Boon_OTML
Regular Visitor

@KenSkinner - yeah, like @valdano3 we have learnt to keep separate local PBIX files per dataflow, then copy-paste to the actual dataflow at deployment.

Watch out for feature parity (lack of) between Desktop vs Cloud versions - especially using Sharepoint Folder connector for multiple files.  In the past, this is the only thing we had to manually rebuild in PBI service.  Something to do with the automatically generated entities - at the time.  Maybe this bug/feature has been resolved since.

@buschbob1974 - Thanks - any idea how expensive is the Theobald SAP dataconnector Xtract Universal?

Boon_OTML
Regular Visitor

Good news all ... looks like they have resolved the bug.  Just now, when editing existing BW Dataflows, it no longer errors. 🤞

SGude
Regular Visitor

@Boon_OTML Still seem to be running into an issue on my side I'm afraid, did you try to edit an existing dataflow or had you created a new one recently?

Fortunately the above workaround for re-setting the gateway in project options appears to work which I am definitely grateful for!

Anonymous
Not applicable

It errors for me too - existing dataflows... at least scheduled refresh runs normally after the changes done yesterday using the gateway reset project options.

Boon_OTML
Regular Visitor

@SGude - We can now open existing BW dataflows without getting the previous error message.  Perhaps the fix is getting rolled out gradually - as they tend to do.