Skip to main content
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Register now to learn Fabric in free live sessions led by the best Microsoft experts. From Apr 16 to May 9, in English and Spanish.

Right click menu closes whenever below a certain point

Whenever I right click a query in the Power Query Editor and the menu pops up, I can't seem to go below a certain point on the screen with the mouse before the menu disappears. 
The weird thing is that the line is independent of where my window is located on the screen. So if I move the Power BI window (e.g. 10 pixels up) then right click the same query, the menu will still close at the same point on the screen but 10 pixels down on the Power BI window. Which means that for certain queries I have to have the window positioned somewhere else so I can access the menu.

I hope this makes sense. Let me know if it doesn't and I can try to give a more detailed explanation.

Comments
Anonymous
Not applicable

I figured something out. The position under which the right click menu closes is the edge of the main Power BI window, i.e. not the Power Query Editor. So if I move the Power BI Desktop window around, the point at which the right click menus close change.

rafaelruivo
Regular Visitor

Man, you were right on point! Same thing happened to me, and it was driving me crazy!

I think PBI has some weird bug on drawing windows overlaying each other.

Thijs
Regular Visitor

This problem is still present in Power BI Version: 2.88.1385.0 64-bit (december 2020). I think this problem is more noticeble on high resolution screens where you don't use your entire screen for the query editor. I reported this bug today at Microsoft Support with a video showing this problem. I hope this bug gets fixed.

It's easy to reproduce on a 4K screen. Especially with Lazzlo second coment: "I figured something out. The position under which the right click menu closes is the edge of the main Power BI window, i.e. not the Power Query Editor. So if I move the Power BI Desktop window around, the point at which the right click menus close change."

Thijs
Regular Visitor

@Anonymous@rafaelruivo Yesterday I got a reply from Microsoft. They can reproduce this bug on their systems. I think it will be fixed soon.

maulopez
Advocate I

Thanks for sharing your findings Anonymous:

" The position under which the right click menu closes is the edge of the main Power BI window, i.e. not the Power Query Editor. So if I move the Power BI Desktop window around, the point at which the right click menus close change."

Based on them, what I do now is either resizing the Power Query Editor window so that it is smaller than the main Power BI window and then I keep the PQE window on top but complitely within the borders of the PBI window bellow, or placing the PQE window in a totally different place of the display so that it does not overlap at all with the PBI window. This is a great work around for something that was driving me crazy. But I hope MS will fix this asap.