Skip to main content
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Register now to learn Fabric in free live sessions led by the best Microsoft experts. From Apr 16 to May 9, in English and Spanish.

Ribbon Freezing

Ever since the most recent Power BI update, the ribbon periodically locks up and will not respond to clicks. I can still interact with the Quick Access toolbar icons without issue, but the commands on the ribbon cannot be used. Occasionally, I can switch to the Query Editor and use Close and Apply to "refresh" the screen. Most of the time, however, I have to close out of Power BI and reopen it. This is happening on a daily basis and sometimes occurs multiple times a day.

I am running 2.67.5404.581 64-bit (March 2019).

Comments
cbhoffm1
Advocate I

@v-qiuyu-msft ,

I have found a similar issue to this one.  It appears if I have anything selected in another app, the ribbon in Power BI locks up and I cannot click on any of the buttons except for the save disk, undo, redo and the quick access ribon drop down.

Steps to recreate the issue:

1) Open a power bi report

2) Open another app (notepad, notepad++, word)

3) type some text into the other app

4) higlight the text in notepad / word

5) go back to Power BI and try to use the ribbon buttons

v-qiuyu-msft
Community Support

@cbhoffm1 Please create a new thread in this forum, we will test it and reply in the new thread. 

Anonymous
Not applicable

This item has been marked as delivered, but that is not the case. This issue still exists even in the newest version of Power BI Desktop, and occurs on multiple machines beyond the one I use. I am a Power BI trainer, and at least one of my students randomly encountered this in a recent class.

Anonymous
Not applicable

@cbhoffm1 

"1) Open a power bi report

2) Open another app (notepad, notepad++, word)

3) type some text into the other app

4) higlight the text in notepad / word

5) go back to Power BI and try to use the ribbon buttons"

this response is the easiest way to work around this issue. You just need to click in another app thats running and when you go back to power BI the ribbons can be clicked again.

tiago_freire
Frequent Visitor

I am on Version: 2.75.5649.961 64-bit (November 2019)

This problems is still happening. 

Especially during startup, it is very common to have the ribbon initially unresponsive, and sometimes it "thaws" after several seconds. Other times, it becomes necesasry to close and reopen the app. 

Of not, I am using SharePoint Online extensively, and the .pbix is in a SharePoint synced document library. This should not make a difference loading, since the file is cached locally. 

The file loads quickly and the user can interact with the app.

When the ribbon is frozen, it does not register any clicks on buttons or tabs.
While in this state, switching between Report - Data - Model is still possible and happens quickly, just like when the app is behaving normally.  

Shruikan

This problem is STILL happening.

The workaround posted above fortunately works but it's the biggest "you've got to be kidding me?" thing ever. Please fix this...it's infuriating.