Skip to main content
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Earn the coveted Fabric Analytics Engineer certification. 100% off your exam for a limited time only!

Report canvas backgrounds changed when publishing report to service

For some reason some of my reports (published about 1,5-2 weeks ago) has suddenly a change in background color on the report canvas from the background color I have set in the PBIX to a dark grey + the background surrounding the report canvas has also gotten this dark grey color. It has also happened to some of the visualizations bakgrounds for one of the published  reports. 

I have not made any changes to the PBIX or in the service since publishing these files, so this seems to be a bug. 

Background has changed for background surrounding canvas and for two viz on the report pageBackground has changed for background surrounding canvas and for two viz on the report page

Grey report canvas in PBI serviceGrey report canvas in PBI service

Comments
Anonymous
Not applicable

It's worth mentioning that this has happened to several other reports, using JSON Theme files. 

Anonymous
Not applicable

We had the same issue this morning on some of our reports using a JSON Theme.  But it didn't affect all yusers.  For the affected users when the page was refreshed it reverted to the original color

v-qiuyu-msft
Community Support

Hi @Anonymous@Anonymous, 

I'm not able to reproduce the issue on my side. Would you please test if our report works fine in your environment? 

q2.PNG

Best Regards,
Qiuyun Yu 

Vicky_Song
Impactful Individual
Status changed to: Needs Info

Anonymous
Not applicable

For some reason this now works again on new PBIX and the ones that had the bug has returned to their normal color (could have happened after refresh?). However, I just published one wich had the theme already and some visuals were affected (table viz and custom viz), but not the background. I also tried to refresh this one without any luck. Attatching screenshot:error color 2.png

I'm pretty sure it was the color attribute in the JSON file that caused this issue. When I removed that attribute in red and updated the theme + republished it went back to normal. Also when setting the background color to black, then white- and republish fixed the surrounding canvas background back to normal.  

Here is the JSON file, just changed some of the corp colors: 

{
"name": "Issue with color when published to service",
"dataColors": ["#00000", "#0f204b", "#3f9c38", "#007591","#fec880", "#e99300", "#666666", "#cccccc"],
"background":"#ffffff",
"foreground": "#666666",
"tableAccent": "#009ada",
"visualStyles":{
"*":{
"*":[
{
"fontSize":9,
"fontFamily":"Verdana",
"color":{
"solid":{
"color":"#666666"
}
}
}
],
"general":[
{
"responsive":true
}
]
}
},
"barChart":{
{
}
],
"legend":[
{
"show":true,
"position":"Top",
"titleText":"",
"labelColor":{
}
},
"fontFamily":"Verdana"
}
],
"categoryAxis":[
{
"position":"Left",
"fontSize":11,
"showAxisTitle":true,
"titleColor":{
"color":"#0f204b"
}
},
"titleFontSize":11,
"titleFontFamily":"Verdana"
}
],
"valueAxis":[
{
"axisScale":"linear",
"titleColor":{
"color":"#0f204b"
}
},
"titleFontSize":11
}
],
"labels":[
{
}
]
}
},
"columnChart":{
{
}
],
"legend":[
{
"labelColor":{
}
},
}
],
"categoryAxis":[
{
"titleFontSize":11,
"titleFontFamily":"Verdana"
}
],
"valueAxis":[
{
"position":"Left"
}
]
}
}
}
}

KrishnaKalyan
Regular Visitor

I'm still facing the issue. Even after the refresh, it shows the dark grey background.

I'm using Jason theme file. Is this a kind of bug? In Desktop version (.pbix file) I could see a white background.

ctappan
Advocate III

I have multiple users reporting this issue starting today (i.e. wasn't a problem at least on 6 July 2018), and it's happened on all our reports published as recently as this morning and as far back as a few months. All reports using a JSON theme are affected, even though they have different JSON theme files.

I also confirm that all reports look fine in PBI Desktop; just the colors on the service are affected.

Interestingly, I had a browser tab open from Friday, and the colors were fine, even as a navigated among different reports and workspaces. But on a new tab opened this morning, the backgrounds were incorrect.

I can confirm that the suggestion from @Anonymous worked for me, too, but this remains a bug since that property in the JSON should still be functioning as the defalt font color. And I'm not thrilled about having to republish all the reports with a fix theme...

@v-qiuyu-msft, I downloaded your report and published to PBI, and it looks the same on desktop and the service. I'm obviously not able to view or edit the theme you have here, if any, but it doesn't appear you used a theme because if I go to Page Background and "Revert to Default", the default is white, not the gray you've manually entered here. Please test with a JSON theme.

jjudy
Helper I

This has propagated to all of our dashboards over the weekend. I can also verify that removing the font color value on visual style has seemed to work so far. Since the background is pulling the default text color - it definitely causes a problem with any useability as all text fades into the background unless the visual itself is assigned a background color.

freder1ck
Kudo Kingpin

I reproduced this issue using your file.

What I did:

* I imported my JSON theme

* I reverted the page background to default (white).

* I published to my workspace

On the service, the report published with a black background.

Looks to be a bug with how the service interprets the JSON theme as opposed to how the desktop interprets it.

kevhav
Continued Contributor

+1

In the service, I'm getting a black background, plus many visualizations have a black background and text, so it's all unreadable. For reports that had a theme.

It started early last week for just a few users, in Europe. But as of today, it seems to be affecting all users!