Skip to main content
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Register now to learn Fabric in free live sessions led by the best Microsoft experts. From Apr 16 to May 9, in English and Spanish.

Report canvas backgrounds changed when publishing report to service

For some reason some of my reports (published about 1,5-2 weeks ago) has suddenly a change in background color on the report canvas from the background color I have set in the PBIX to a dark grey + the background surrounding the report canvas has also gotten this dark grey color. It has also happened to some of the visualizations bakgrounds for one of the published  reports. 

I have not made any changes to the PBIX or in the service since publishing these files, so this seems to be a bug. 

Background has changed for background surrounding canvas and for two viz on the report pageBackground has changed for background surrounding canvas and for two viz on the report page

Grey report canvas in PBI serviceGrey report canvas in PBI service

Comments
fdaocsta

Facing this issue across multiple reports with the grey background. A large impediment to our team

kevhav
Continued Contributor

I can also confirm...

I use a very simple .json theme file, like this:

{
   "name": "..."
   ,"dataColors": [...]
   ,"background": "#FFFFFF"
   ,"foreground": "#000000"
   ,"tableAccent": "#000000"
   ,"visualStyles": {
      "*": {
            "*": [{
               "fontFamily":"Arial"
               ,"fontSize": 10
               ,"color": {"solid": {"color": "#000000"}}
            }]
         }
      }
   }
}

And, when I remove the line "color": {"solid": {"color": "#000000"}}, it fixes the issue in the Service. 

kevhav
Continued Contributor

Please let us know if there is a fix, and when it might be deployed?

I am weighing the possibility of (temporarily?) removing that line from my custom theme file; then applying the "modified" theme to all my reports, and re-publishing all my reports. Of course, I would rather not have to do this Smiley Tongue

Thanks!

kevhav
Continued Contributor

Or, I should say, I went back and re-read this:

https://docs.microsoft.com/en-us/power-bi/desktop-report-themes

My intention with my custom these is just to have all my fonts default to font family = Arial / size = 10 / color = black. 

Maybe something changed such that: the "color:" element in the JSON ... when placed under visualStyles/*/*/* ... is now too inclusive. It seems that now, it's changing the color of more things, when it didn't use to. Even the report page/canvas background.

Is there just an easy way to make all my font colors black?

Unfortunately, I see a lot of card properties that seem like font colors, including "fontColor" and "fontColorPrimary" and "labelColor" and "titleColor" ... and, for some cards, "color" ... and, several more.

gtupper

Is there an update for when this issue will be resolved?  currently all of my reports have gone black due to the use of the json formatting feature. 

I dont really want to edit every report and republish and have to setup all the scheduled refreshes again.

thanks

jbalkin
Regular Visitor

Just jumping on the bandwagon here - it's affecting dozens of reports across our organization. I've told people to go to 'view - high contrast colors - white', which looks terrible but at least it's readable. 

I can't afford to have to go into every report and republish with no theme, unless I know MS aren't going to fix this bug within the near future. 

Please let us know it's being looked into! It seems like it should be an easy fix to do. 

It's just worrying that this happened for existing reports already published, not just the result of an updated desktop version.

Anonymous
Not applicable

Also happening at our org across multiple reports.

mark_w
Regular Visitor

Hi all,

Just to close the loop on this one as it was asked about over on Twitter, Amanda Cofsky replied on it:

https://twitter.com/MissAmandaN/status/1016786527781773312

"This is because your theme has a tripe wildcard for color. This part of your theme: "*":{ "*":{ "*":[{"color":{"solid":{"color":"#666666"}}}]}}. This isn't advised, as the color will affect all places that can be colored, like our new wallpaper feature Daniil blogged about."

The Power BI service has been updated with the new attributes which are causing your backgrounds etc to be coloured, but Desktop hasn't been yet, so it looks fine in June desktop but weird on the service.

Hope this helps and means you're no longer confused or tearing your hair out over it!

Mark

freder1ck
Kudo Kingpin

This is good to know. She also said that PBID update is being delayed this month to sync with the Business Applications Summit. However, I haven't heard yet when or whether Power BI Desktop will be updated to match the service.

tcallender007
Frequent Visitor

I just wanted to add that this impacted several reports I have also.  I have been using a custom JSON report theme.  However, the code did not include a triple wild card for color - but it did include a triple wild card for font.  I removed the custom report theme and the background returned to normal.  

However the alternative is to go to every page in your report and change the background color back to the original color (in my case white). 

Here is the code for my JSON file in case this helps with anything

{
 "name":  "Report Colors",
 "dataColors": ["#92d050", "#ffff00", "#ff0000", "#0081C6"],
 "background": "#ffffff",
 "foreground":  "#3A6108",
 "tableAccent": "#92d050"
}

"visualStyles": {
            "*": [{
                "fontSize": 12,
  "fontFamily": "Calibri"
            }]
        }
    } 

}

I am really unhappy with this change as it puts a big burden on me to get all of my reports updated.