Skip to main content
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Register now to learn Fabric in free live sessions led by the best Microsoft experts. From Apr 16 to May 9, in English and Spanish.

Report Server - Scheduled Refresh Model Update

Dear Power BI Team,

I'd like to send you an issue for Power BI Report Server in a scale out scenario.

When a Report is updated by a scheduled refresh plan it looks like only report server which is executing scheduled refrech plan is going to update model of report and other report server within scale-out deployment is going to use old modle data.

Scheduled-Refresh.PNG

Scheduled refresh plan for every 15 minutes.

Scale-Out1.PNGScale-Out2.PNG

After scheduled refresh plan was executed at scale-out server 1, you will notice a difference between both systems because model is only updated at server 1.

Refresh_log_1.PNG

You will notice that within Power BI Report Server log, that only at server where sheduled refresh is executed model refresh is logged.

In my optinion if a scheduled fresh is planned for a report model update should be forced at all servers that report is going to show same data at all scale-out deployment systems.

Current work-a-round:

Model-refresh.PNG

I've set Model expiration and recyle to each a value of 1 minutes, so that model should be "refresh" each minute.

But this causes another issue at Web Portal, so it's only a work-a-round.

Refresh_error.PNG 

By setting value to 1 minute and accessing a report model is OK by entering report, but if I execute "Refresh" within report where model was recycled in background it will result in an error of all visuals of report.

Please take a look that this issue.

Many thanks

Daniel

Comments
Anonymous
Not applicable

Dear Team,

just figured out that using lastest Release 2019-01 issue about Visuals reporting an error seems to be fixed.

Using Release 2019-01 it looks like then if model is expired, cleanup and removed from Analysis Engine it will get reloaded to Analysis Service by using "Refresh" from within report.

Within logs you can see that it searches for model, finds it missing and then starting to query again, after it shows up again within Analysis Service.

Would be great if you could also fix other senario within this issue report as well, that I could set expire and cleanup to an higher rate again.

Many thanks

Daniel

Anonymous
Not applicable

Dear Microsoft Team, Dear Community,

for me it looks like that there is an undocumented change at 2019-09 Power BI RS Version where Scheduled Refresh in Scale-Out is changed.
At my tests each Report Server showed correct data after Scheduled Reefresh Job was initiated using standard Model settings.

Is there someone else how can confirm my finding?

Many thanks

Daniel

Anonymous
Not applicable

Dear All,

I'd like to share my latest findings with yoz about this issue.

In meantime I've updated my Scale-Out environment to 2020-01 (Build 15.0.1102.777) and Report Servers show both correct and same values.

2020-01:

2020-01 - Same Sample Values on both RS2020-01 - Same Sample Values on both RS

As you can see both RS show same Sample Values from my Excel sample file.

Now I've upgraded to 2020-05 (Build 15.0.1103.227).

Now I've modified my Excel Sample file and run Scheduled Refresh again, but now issue is back again. Server which is performing refresh shows correct data but other RS is still loading Model from cache.

2020-05:

2020-05 - One RS shows false values after Refresh2020-05 - One RS shows false values after Refresh

After I've seen issue again running 2020-05, I've re-installed a fresh Scale-Out Environment using 2020-01 to ensure it's not my development / test environment.

All fine running 2020-01.

After upgraded to 2020-05 and issue appears again. Looks like modifications to 2020-05 have reased this issues again. Within Change Log there are several changes to Schedule Refresh noted.

Someone else seeing issue again using 2020-05?

Many thanks

Daniel

Anonymous
Not applicable

Dear all,

issue seems to be fixed at 2020-05:

• Version: 1.8.7485.35104 (Build 15.0.1103.234), Released: June 30, 2020
    • Bug fixes
      • Fixed an issue in scale-out scenarios where reports weren't reflecting edits immediately in the server after upload.

I've tested version and issues seems to be fixed.

Cheers,

Daniel