Skip to main content
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Register now to learn Fabric in free live sessions led by the best Microsoft experts. From Apr 16 to May 9, in English and Spanish.

Report Server Scale-Out - Refresh Issue

Dear Microsoft Support Team,

I'd like to report an issue at Report Server Scale-Out deployment. I was able to reproduce issue with two different environments, last one using latest Report Server version 2010-01 (Build 15.0.1102.777).

There are two report server in scale-out configured with full services configured in configfile.

<IsSchedulingService>True</IsSchedulingService>
<IsNotificationService>True</IsNotificationService>
<IsEventService>True</IsEventService>
<PollingInterval>10</PollingInterval>
<IsDataModelRefreshService>True</IsDataModelRefreshService>

Now I'm going to remove one report server from scale-out using command or Report Server Configuration GUI.

I'd assume that now this removed report server won't be used for scheduled refresh jobs. But it seems that removed system is still looking for refresh events in DB and tries to run necessary tasks.

Therefore report server is removed from scale-out it's not able to get keys and it will result in errors when it tries to connect.

E.G.:

1)

Error Processing Data Model Refresh: SessionId: 05ff631d-bbe2-4913-b05a-d4a5820b391d, Status: Error Failed Data Refresh, Exception Microsoft.AnalysisServices.OperationException: Failed to save modifications to the server. Error returned: 'Credentials are required to connect to the SQL source. (Source at SQLServer.mydomain.org;TESTDB.). The exception was raised by the IDbCommand interface.

Report Server tries to connect to SQL Server DB

2)

Error Processing Data Model Refresh: SessionId: d954d6a4-90c5-4ed4-8195-2d7c828bd074, Status: Error Model can not be refreshed because not all connection string is valid, Exception Microsoft.PowerBI.ReportServer.AsServer.InvalidDataSourceException: Model can not be refreshed for files not mapped to a network share

Here report server tries to connect to a network share based XLXS file.

If remaining report server is used to run refresh job, everything is well performed and scheduled refresh is completed without erros.

For me it looks like an issue at report server, could be please take a look and maybe fix it within an upcoming release?

Don't hesitate to contact me for more details.

Many thanks

Daniek

Comments
v-qiuyu-msft
Community Support

Hi @Anonymous, 

Please create a support ticket to let engineers look into the issue on your side. 

Support Ticket.gif

Best Regards,
Qiuyun Yu

Anonymous
Not applicable

Dear All,

I've opened a Support Ticket and it works as desined I was told. Therefore I've opened a idea / change request at idea potal. Feel free to vote for it, if you expect same issue:

Link: https://ideas.powerbi.com/forums/265200-power-bi-ideas/suggestions/40805575-report-server-scale-out-...

Cheers

Daniel