Skip to main content
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Earn the coveted Fabric Analytics Engineer certification. 100% off your exam for a limited time only!

Rename for this visual not working in the service

When a report is published in the service and you select Rename for this Visual on a field in a widget, it lets you edit for a split second and then saves the name. There is no time to erase and type in a new name. Both me and another user have experienced this with both Chrome and Edge browsers.

Hi @Anonymous @danxshap @AqWP4xjr @bassebus @PaulWinstone ,

This is a bug and is in the progress of fixing. Work around is to double-click and rename instead of using menu option. Both result in the same change.

Please wait patiently for this bug to be fixed.

Best regards,

Community Support Team Selina zhu

Comments
v-mengzhu-msft
Community Support
Status changed to: Investigating

Hi @Anonymous ,

How did you rename it? Can you show me the detailed steps so I can reproduce the problem?

Best regards,

danxshap
Helper I

@v-mengzhu-msft I am experiencing the same problem.

The steps to reproduce are:

1. Open any report in Power BI service in editing mode
  2. Select a visual (e.g. a Table)
  3. Right click on one of the fields that has been added to the visual (e.g. a field in the "Values" list for the Table visual)
  4. Click "Rename for this visual"

Expected behavior: A text box replaces the field name that allows you to type a new name for the field just for this visual.

Current behavior: A text box replaces the field name for less than 1 second and then reverts to the non-editable state. It's currently impossible to rename a field just for a visual in this way, and I'm unaware of any other way to do it in Power BI Service.

If I do not have the option to download the .pbix file and update it in Power BI Desktop, is there any other workaround that I can use until the UI bug is fixed?

Devesh790
Frequent Visitor

facing the same issue for the past two days.

LiamG

I'm also experiencing this exact issue for the past 3 days now

v-mengzhu-msft
Community Support
Status changed to: Accepted

Hi @Anonymous @Devesh790 @danxshap ,

I have submitted your issue to ICM , the ID is 338533752 . I'll be back with an update if there's any progress .

Best regards,

bassebus
Regular Visitor

Glad this issue is being investigated, and hopefully it will get resolved right away. Because of it, as of right now, I can not share the reports with my customers. 

PaulWinstone
Regular Visitor

I found that if I double click on the text rather than using the drop-down menu I get the edit box which is not what I expected!

bassebus
Regular Visitor

@PaulWinstone Excellent discovery! Thank you, thank you. 

AqWP4xjr
Advocate I

I am also experiencing this. @PaulWinstone's work around works for me. I didn't even know double clicking let you rename fields. Thanks! 

danxshap
Helper I

@PaulWinstone thank you for saving the day!