Skip to main content
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Earn the coveted Fabric Analytics Engineer certification. 100% off your exam for a limited time only!

Remove direct query table in PBI desktop

I've added a dataset to my model in PBI desktop for test reasons. Now I want to remove the table but there is no option to remove it (e.g. in the context menu as for all other tables). I then removed the dataset in PBI service to force PBI to let me remove the table. But this all doesn't work.
So, how do I remove the table from my model?

Comments
v-lili6-msft
Community Support

hi  @fwde 

power bi desktop is a report development tool.

You need to do it in power bi desktop not in power bi service, then republish it to power bi service.

In power bi desktop, go to model view, then choose one table, you could change the properties for it, and also delete it in current data model.

1.JPG

then republish this report to power bi service.

Regards,

Lin

fwde
Advocate I

Hi @v-lili6-msft ,

Thank you for your fast response but that doesn't work. Of course, I tried to delete the table in Power BI Desktop...
I have numerous tables in the model (all not Direct Query) which I can perfectly delete from the model (no wonder!). Only for this table there is no option do delete it ("Delete from model"). See screenshots below. I am very sure that there are no references to that table which could possibly prevent it from being deleted.

Thanks in advance, regards,

Frank

2021-01-05 Issue 1.jpg2021-01-05 Issue 2.jpg

Anonymous
Not applicable

Having the exact same issue. The new composite model feature that Power BI has developed seems to have a bug where if you download a Power BI dataset, you are not able to delete the DirectQuery dataset.

v-lili6-msft
Community Support

hi  @fwde 

I have tested it again, create a composite model pbix file and then download it from power bi service, it still could delete the directquery table.

you may try these two way as below:

1. use a previous version power bi desktop to have a test.

Previous monthly updates to Power BI Desktop

2. try to use Tabular Editor in power bi desktop to get it.

https://powerbi.microsoft.com/en-us/blog/announcing-public-preview-of-external-tools-in-power-bi-des...

if still have problem, please share your sample pbix file for us have a test.

Regards,

Lin

fwde
Advocate I

Hi Lin (@v-lili6-msft),

Perhaps I didn't properly explain what I was doing. What I was trying is to directly connect from Power BI Desktop to an existing dataset in my Power BI service:
2021-01-06 Issue.jpg
In my case, this dataset consists of only one table. Afterward, I wanted to delete this table again or - in other words - cut the connection to the dataset. How can I achieve that?

It seems that a once established connection can't be deleted or removed afterward. Can that be the case? I created a simple example with one table from a live connection and a local table. I can of course delete the local table but not the one from the live connection. How can I share this example with you?

Looking forward to hearing from you.

Regards,
Frank

Anonymous
Not applicable

Hello, I have exactly the same problem, I added a Power Bi Online table, but I can no longer delete it 😕

fwde
Advocate I

Thank you, @Anonymous and @Anonymous, for confirming.
So, it's obviously a bug!

mlotok
Regular Visitor

Same issue...

Anyone have an idea how to get rid off the Power BI dataset load in DirectQuery mode?

v-lili6-msft
Community Support

hi  all

for directquery with power bi dataset, this is a known limitation that:

Deleting connections to remote sources that use DirectQuery is not currently supported.

https://docs.microsoft.com/zh-cn/power-bi/connect-data/desktop-directquery-datasets-azure-analysis-s...

Regards,

Lin

fwde
Advocate I

Hi @v-lili6-msft,

This is kind of ridiculous. What means "known limitation"? Am I supposed to read that before using a feature? How can I expect that I can't delete a connection? What happens if the dataset is no longer supported or has an error?

When will the bug (it's not a "limitation" in my eyes) be fixed? Or is there a workaround? I have a complex report where I have made some changes in the meantime and I can't go back to an earlier version without the connection...

Best,
Frank