Skip to main content
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Earn the coveted Fabric Analytics Engineer certification. 100% off your exam for a limited time only!

Relative Date Filtering is offset even in Power BI Desktop

I noticed my reports that were using relative date filtering were treating "Today" as the 3rd of September, when in local time its the 4th of september.  This is presently 9:40 AM AEST time (GMT +10 no daylight savings).

At first I thought this might be a case of the Service treating itself as being the localtime UTC, however when opening the project in Power BI desktop, where my local time shows on my clock, the relative dates are still offset.

Capture.PNG

Power BI Version

Version.PNG

Comments
v-qiuyu-msft
Community Support

Hi @Anonymous@Anonymous,

Sorry for the late response. Would you please record a video to show the issue in Power BI desktop September version 2.62.5222.761 64-bit (September 2018)? So I can try to consult this issue internally with this video. 

Best Regards,
Qiuyun Yu 

Anonymous
Not applicable

Hi @v-qiuyu-msft - sure - I have recorded a video (including audio to explain it).  I didn't show the PBI desktop version in the video, but please see the screenshot attached also.  Thanks!

This example video also shows the impact of this issue when it is the first day of the new month.  Right now  it is the 1st of October at 9:35am on the East coast of Australia, and all of Asia, however PowerBI Desktop and Service currently thinks that "This Month" is still September.  So, we have both a daily impact and also a monthly impact.   Weekly and Yearly would also be an issue but we don't use these often.

Link to the video:

https://youtu.be/tRcTl0tnbao

Version:

Version.png

cc @Anonymous

Anonymous
Not applicable

Hi @v-qiuyu-msft - sorry to chase you but can you please have a look at the video etc and move this ticket status on?  Thanks!

v-qiuyu-msft
Community Support

Hi @Anonymous@Anonymous,

I have reported this issue internally: CRI 86712163. Will update here once I get any information. 

Best Regards,
Qiuyun Yu

v-qiuyu-msft
Community Support
Status changed to: Accepted

Anonymous
Not applicable

Thank you.

Anonymous
Not applicable

@v-qiuyu-msft could you please ask them to also investigate this ame issue in the PowerBI Service? I know that it runs on shared infrastructure but it is definitely possible to detect a user's timezone through their browser and use that (other cloud apps like Workfront do that.  It would be great if they can fix this in both desktop and service. Thanks 

v-qiuyu-msft
Community Support

Hi all, 

I got information below: 

This is currently by design as it’s always based on UTC time as documented on the relative slicer page https://docs.microsoft.com/en-us/power-bi/visuals/desktop-slicer-filter-date-range. Please add on Ideas site the option for different time zone support.

Best Regards,
Qiuyun Yu 

Anonymous
Not applicable

Different timezone support is definately required, even if its simply takes the timezone of the local user.  Users generally expect that "Today" is the today of whereever they are.

In our cases, we often set head of time what Today means as our reports span multiple timezones.  It is important for us to make sure that the Today of the report aligns with the Today of the data import.  There will come a point in our future where we will have data imported for all corners of the globe and using Today by UTC is problematic.

v-qiuyu-msft
Community Support

Hi @Anonymous,

Please share your feedback here: https://ideas.powerbi.com/forums/265200-power-bi-ideas

Best Regards,

Qiuyun Yu