Skip to main content
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Register now to learn Fabric in free live sessions led by the best Microsoft experts. From Apr 16 to May 9, in English and Spanish.

Relative Date Filtering is offset even in Power BI Desktop

I noticed my reports that were using relative date filtering were treating "Today" as the 3rd of September, when in local time its the 4th of september.  This is presently 9:40 AM AEST time (GMT +10 no daylight savings).

At first I thought this might be a case of the Service treating itself as being the localtime UTC, however when opening the project in Power BI desktop, where my local time shows on my clock, the relative dates are still offset.

Capture.PNG

Power BI Version

Version.PNG

Comments
Anonymous
Not applicable

Wow - I'm seeing that too.  Not good!  

I was already aware of the issue with the PowerBI service which does not consider the user's PC timezone and just uses UTC for the definition of what 'today' is.   However, my understanding was that PowerBI Desktop was aware of the user's PC timezone and would use that.  

We definitely need an answer on this one.  Thanks for raising it.

v-qiuyu-msft
Community Support

Hi all, 

What's the time zone do you set on your side? I'm not able to reproduce the issue if the time zone is UTC+10. Please share detail steps for us to reproduce the issue if possible. 

q5.PNG

Best Regards,
Qiuyun Yu 

v-qiuyu-msft
Community Support
Status changed to: Needs Info

Anonymous
Not applicable

Hi Qiuyun,

I can see from your screenshot that your PC clock was at 11:51AM when you tested using UTC+10.  At that time of day the problem would not be evident because it would be 1:51AM on the same calendar day.  However, it you set your PC clock to UTC+10 timezone and your time to before 10AM then you should see the issue.  

I'm also in UTC+10 by the way...

Thanks

Regards, David

p.s. this behaviour is exactly what happens in the PowerBI Service which uses UTC.  Before 10am every day this is an issue for all users on the east coast of Australia or further east in NZ and the pacific. I already raised a separate ticket regarding this but this is currently working as designed....not great though so hopefully can be changed to detect the user's PC timezone through the browser. 

Anonymous
Not applicable

@v-qiuyu-msft have you got anything further to add?  David has correctly pointed out that your testing was not conducted at the correct time for the issue to be visible.  You would need to replicate this within a period of time where a local timezone has moved into the following day but UTC has not.

Anonymous
Not applicable

Hi @v-qiuyu-msft - this issue is still happening even with the September update.  This REALLY needs to be fixed.  It's not acceptable for users in East Coast Australia and New Zealand to choose today and have yesterday's date selected by the relative date slicer.  As mentioned, once we hit 10am it will be OK because London will come into the same day. This issue is affecting Desktop...not just the Service.  

Please give us an update on what will be done with this.  Thanks

Regards, David

Anonymous
Not applicable

Hi @Anonymous - I wish there was a way we could change the status of a ticket to say we've supplied the info so it can get looked at again!

Anonymous
Not applicable

@Anonymous  I agree.

@v-qiuyu-msft can you please review this again.

Anonymous
Not applicable

Hi - this important issue was raised by @Anonymous on the 4th of September.  On 5th of September it was marked by @v-qiuyu-msft as 'Needs Info'.  Ross and I both provided further info and we have been trying to get a moderator to have another look at the ticket since then.  The original thread is at:

https://community.powerbi.com/t5/Issues/Relative-Date-Filtering-is-offset-even-in-Power-BI-Desktop/idc-p/507551

Can someone please have a look at that thread and change its status so the issue can be investigated?  Thanks

Regards, David.

Anonymous
Not applicable

Subscribing myself to this thread so i can be notified.