Skip to main content
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Earn the coveted Fabric Analytics Engineer certification. 100% off your exam for a limited time only!

Relationship Lines Missing Since March 2020 Update

The Relationship Diagram is not showing the lines of the relationships in the Model view. All the relationships are fine, but not showing in this view. This is huge for me as we have many tables and some complex relationships.  It is not just one PBIX file but all of them.Missing Relationship Lines.PNG

Comments
zhuoqiu
Regular Visitor

I have the same problem! Please check and help!

v-qiuyu-msft
Community Support

Hi all, 

May I know your exact Power BI desktop version? 

I tested in Power BI desktop version 2.79.5768.721 64-bit (March 2020), the relationship lines do display fine. Please run the same desktop version as ours then test again. 

a2.PNG

Best Regards,
Qiuyun Yu

DQuigg
Advocate III

That is the same version I have. See below. 

Version for Relationship Lines.PNG

johanbrosnan
Regular Visitor

I have the same problem

v-qiuyu-msft
Community Support

Hi all, 

Would you please share pbix file with us? If it's possible, please remove sensitive data in the report, upload pbix file to your OneDrive for Business and share share it with us. 

Best Regards,
Qiuyun Yu

DQuigg
Advocate III

I can't share ours as it is actually our product. Can someone else share a PBIX that is having the same issue?

_Pascal_
Regular Visitor

I am experiencing the same issue after the new March update (I do have the same version as mentioned above).

Relationship viewRelationship view

In addition to net seeing the relationship lines, I can't even click on the different tables and move them around. It seems like there is some sort of grey box as an overlay as you can see in the picture above and below.

When I then switch to the "File" menu this grey box still stays there and I am not able to click on the options (unless I click on the area right next to the box on the left).

Relationship errorRelationship error

When creating a new layout, it is possible to move around the tables for a bit and the grey box isn't visible. After some moving though the box appears again. Realtionship lines also don't show when creating a new layout.

New Relationship LayoutNew Relationship Layout

This is an issue with the majority of my reports but not all of them. A few reports still work perfectly fine in regards to the relationship-diagram. The reports that still work all have less tables than the ones no longer working (might be a coincidence, I don't know).

UPDATE:

So I was actually able to "fix" this myself.

This seems like kind of a weird situation but in all of my affected reports I had this one realtionship that I had to delete, which made everything work again.

It was a relationship of one Table with only one column (entered that data manually, which I don't know if it is relevant) to another table whose column was a calculated DAX column. This was the only type of relationship that caused the issue.

Maybe this workaround "solution" helps others with the same issue.

TJO1

Hi,

I have the same problem as _Pascal_ with the same symptoms.

Power BI Desktop

Version: 2.79.5768.721 64-bit (March 2020)

I found that this occurred after adding a new table and trying to create a relationship.  The lines previously created disappeared although the relationships remained.

I then disabled the data load of the offending table, did a view refresh and the lines reappeared.

I then added the offending table back, made the required relationship but lines again dissappeared and after a view refresh the whole window greyed out (as per _Pascal_ screenshot) and froze.

I have not found a work around even though I rebuilt similar models in two different workbooks without reusing M code.  There are no visuals and no DAX in the workbook yet.

Cheers Tim

v-qiuyu-msft
Community Support

Hi @TJO1

>>I found that this occurred after adding a new table and trying to create a relationship.  The lines previously created disappeared although the relationships remained.

I'm not able to reproduce the issue follow your steps. Please check your Relationships settings: 

q3.PNG

Best Regards,
Qiuyun Yu

zhuoqiu
Regular Visitor

Hi @v-qiuyu-msft ,

I checked the relationships setting you mentioned and it turns out the setting is exactly same as the screenshot you attached. However, the problem still exists. Please help.

Thanks