Skip to main content
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Register now to learn Fabric in free live sessions led by the best Microsoft experts. From Apr 16 to May 9, in English and Spanish.

Relationship Display is not saving changes

Is the relationships display in Desktop supposed to save the current position.  In other words, if I drag the hierarchy the way that I want, isn't it supposed to save it?  I seem to get constant issues where I clean up the display only to come back in and it is all hosed up.  Sometimes it seems to save it properly.  What am I missing? I had the one below all nicely laid out and then come back in later and it is all messed up per below.

Relationship Display.PNG

Comments
DQuigg
Advocate III

It just happened to me again.  I put the PBIX file with the messed up relationship diagram on the following share.  I have no idea what is different or what happened.  I just opened a file up that was perfectly fine yesterday.  I had structured all the relationships exactly the way I wanted them.  It held for several days and then I opened it up this morning and it is screwed up. 

https://www.dropbox.com/s/8crefzn4o1u423e/Degree%20to%20Jobs%20Interactive%20V5.0.pbix?dl=0

DQuigg
Advocate III

The last thing I do remember doing is hiding tables from displaying in the report view. 

EnochS
Helper II

The hard alternative would be to remodel it so that there are not as many tables or relationships (if possible). I know that sometimes its unavoidable, but when it is, it comes down to DBA management best practices. It may be that the developers of Power BI didn't anticipate such a large web of relationships with the amount of tables that you have and could be some sort of memory or cache issue. It could possibly also be your machine? If not, and if you are not able to remodel your database model/structure, then hopefully someone that has experienced this is able to give you the solution. 

DQuigg
Advocate III

Thank you Enoch for the comment.  I understand what you are saying but this seems to be a relatively new phenomena.  I am keeping my eye on it and it has not happened in the past few weeks.  

kcantor
Community Champion

@EnochS

It isn't just large models that this happens to. I have yet to be able to repro the problem but it crops up at unexpected times. Most recently it occured in a model with 4 small look up tables (Date, Product, Segment, and Sales Rep) and one single Fact Table (Sales).

If I could have it happen to a single model multiple times on command I would gladly rework the model. On the flip side, my largest model has yet to be affected ( 8 look up tables and 4 fact tables).

DQuigg
Advocate III

I agree with @kcantor that there does not seem to be a rhyme or reason. All of my models are pretty large and I have limited control over how they are structured as they come from our own application which is very efficient. I do have a 4k monitor and thought maybe that had something to do with it.  I also thought it might be a memory issue.  

dcresp
Advocate IV

This issue is driving me nuts. Microsoft will this be fixed in the December version of Desktop? Every time I set a diagram up a few days later it goes back to default. Please help. 

DQuigg
Advocate III

This just happened again.  No rhyme or reason - I just open up the same file from earlier this morning and the relationship diagram is hosed up again.  The only common thread seems to be that whenever I download a new program update (December release last night), it seems to escalate this problem.  Otherwise, I have no idea what is causing it or how to work around it.  This relationship diagram takes between a half hour and an hour to put back together so it is valuable time I lose every time.

This can't be just me.  Is anyone else out there seeing this besides our little group?

dcresp
Advocate IV

I have updated to the December version of Desktop and this has not fixed this issue. If this was the only thing that the December version delivered I would have been happy. I have lost track of how many hours are wasted setting up relationship diagrams to only find that the issue has not been resolved and they go back to being automatically reset. Microsoft please find an urgent fix to this issue. Plenty of information has been provided on this issue including problem files but it is still displaying as needs information. What further information is needed?

freder1ck
Kudo Kingpin

I'm still seeing this on and off, which makes it feel like a memory issue. I have seen it in models that only have 4 or 5 tables, so model size is not the decisive factor.