Skip to main content
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Earn the coveted Fabric Analytics Engineer certification. 100% off your exam for a limited time only!

Relationship Display is not saving changes

Is the relationships display in Desktop supposed to save the current position.  In other words, if I drag the hierarchy the way that I want, isn't it supposed to save it?  I seem to get constant issues where I clean up the display only to come back in and it is all hosed up.  Sometimes it seems to save it properly.  What am I missing? I had the one below all nicely laid out and then come back in later and it is all messed up per below.

Relationship Display.PNG

Comments
freder1ck
Kudo Kingpin

I was SUPER excited to see model view.BUT! I'm SO disappointed in it. I tried out model view, and it was really slow and janky to rearrange the tables. And then, BAM it got autoarranged into a mess again. I wouldn't even care about saving the model so much if there were a button to auto-arrange into a clear Collie schema with dimensions at the top, facts below that, and disconnected tables below that.

Looking at Model View a bit closer... I see that the default will auto-arrange according to its own internal logic. However, it is possible to add other views of the model that should be stable. The performance is still a bit slow and janky compared to Relationship View... SO, color me excited and hopeful about these changes. I LOVE having the ability to create a new tab with just a few tables that I need to work with. And, using the view for setting data formats is pretty cool.

jmeadows
Regular Visitor

Has there been any progress resolving this? I am continually having this issue.

freder1ck
Kudo Kingpin

Hi jmeadows,

Are you previewing the new Modeling View yet? 

https://powerbi.microsoft.com/en-us/blog/modeling-view-in-power-bi-desktop/

So far, it looks promising. Your All Tables tab (and the current Relationship View) will still have the dimensions scattered to the four winds, but you can add your own tabs to view the model in a more organized way. I also found myself creating extra tabs to zoom in on a particular fact table with just its own lookups. 

https://powerbi.microsoft.com/en-us/blog/modeling-view-in-power-bi-desktop/

dcresp
Advocate IV

The modeling view is a big step forwards. However, it is frustrating that the issue of the layout resetting in the new all table tables view has still not been resolved. Please MS can we get a fix to this. I love the new break out views but still need a stable all tables view. 

freder1ck
Kudo Kingpin

Modeling View:

Both "All Tables" and other diagram views get jumbled up. After Modeling View was introduced, I tried arranging All Tables, and found that it would rearrange tables. I've been ignoring All Tables and instead adding all tables to a separate view in the hope that that would be stable, but it's not.  Autoarrange would be ok if there was a way of having a different type of autoarrange. For example, dims above and facts below. Or, even a kind of a sandwich with dims above and below (or right and left) and facts in between. 

kcantor
Community Champion

And just like that, it is happening again. Can we please fix this issue?

freder1ck
Kudo Kingpin

Yes, still happening

Anonymous
Not applicable

Thought I was going crazy and the only one having this issue.

It is super anoying and really should be simple to fix??

Get on it ASAP, please!

dcresp
Advocate IV

This is still a major issue. The trouble is that no one has been able to isolate what is triggering this. Even Microsoft does not seem to be able to isolate this and hence it is not getting fixed. Still a really serious bug though. Let's hope that it gets the attention sometime soon. 

Svennos

Hi,

This exact same issue started with me with version 2.98.683.0 64-bit (October 2021).

This didnt happen with crashing though, I just opened my filter after the update and it was messed up.

I afterwards spend quite some time to make it look nice again, saved the file, closed it and moved on, just to have it messed up again this morning.

Hope you can figure out whats causing this, it doesnt break anything but it's very annoying.