Skip to main content
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Earn the coveted Fabric Analytics Engineer certification. 100% off your exam for a limited time only!

Relationship Display is not saving changes

Is the relationships display in Desktop supposed to save the current position.  In other words, if I drag the hierarchy the way that I want, isn't it supposed to save it?  I seem to get constant issues where I clean up the display only to come back in and it is all hosed up.  Sometimes it seems to save it properly.  What am I missing? I had the one below all nicely laid out and then come back in later and it is all messed up per below.

Relationship Display.PNG

Comments
kcantor
Community Champion

I am having the same issue. This started for me with the last update. In addition to the layout rearranging (which triggers my OCD) my data model resets to autodetect relationships and will add relationships that should not exist. For example, it will tie the sales fact line/row id to the customer table customer number. It adds multiple inactive relationships with bidirectional filters which kills my calculations. On the plus side, sometimes the data model does not rearange itself but the relationship lines do. Then, when you hit the reset button, the tables rearrange themselves into the shape of a pentagram . . . okay, just a mess but it is getting old real quick when I am trying to fix the relationships it adds.

Please fix this quickly!

DQuigg
Advocate III

I have some pretty complicated data models and often it will take me an hour to shape up the design only to see it get whacked.  I also experienced what you have with the weird relationship lines, but I have a 4k monitor so thought that was the issue.  

dcresp
Advocate IV

I have been having the same issue. Very frustrating. I have found it hard to pin down when the issue happens but keep coming back to models to find them all messed up. 

DQuigg
Advocate III

This just happened to me again.  I lost about a half hour getting the data model laid out nicely and come back in and poof it is all messed up.  I agree that this is only in the past few updates and like you, I can't find any consistency as to when it happens and when it doesn't.  I think it is always a new session of the PBIX file, but I am not sure.  I can't keep spending the time laying things out and then getting them hosed up.

Power BI team - please fix this issue!

v-jiascu-msft
Employee

Hi All,

Though many people have the same issue, I can't reproduce it. I tested a pbix file with 63 queries. No issue occurred. Could someone share a pbix with me please? Since this issue is about relationship, you can keep a few rows in the file. If someone can post the steps to reproduce, that would be great too. Thanks in advance.

Edit: there is a new release for the PBI November (Version: 2.52.4921.581 64-bit (November 2017)). Please check your version and try it out. Download link: https://www.microsoft.com/en-us/download/details.aspx?id=45331.

Best Regards!

Dale

Vicky_Song
Impactful Individual
Status changed to: Needs Info

DQuigg
Advocate III

Sure - remind me again of how best way to share the file with you?  It is all public data so not a problem to share the PBIX file with you.  I wish I knew what causes it so I could help pin it down as well because it costs me a lot of time.

v-jiascu-msft
Employee

Hi @DQuigg,

Thanks! You can share your file from a could drive like GoogleDrive, OneDrive, Dropbox. Then paste the link here that I can download from.

Best Regards!

Dale

DQuigg
Advocate III

Hi Dale,

Here is the link to the file.  It is all public data and a work in process so no problem.  I have not had the scrambling problem on this file in the past few days.  My sense is the problem occurs when Power BI crashes (which happens a lot when Bing maps are used) and I reopen the file, but I don't have any consistency.  I now avoid using the autosaved file whan that happens as that may also be part of the problem.  

https://www.dropbox.com/s/j4dmg4qlkc6e4ab/County%20Population%20Analysis%20V1.0.pbix?dl=0

dcresp
Advocate IV

I have not been having issues with crashing and have not used auto saved files. Lots of messed up diagrams over the last month though.