Skip to main content
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Earn the coveted Fabric Analytics Engineer certification. 100% off your exam for a limited time only!

Regional settings and Month names

Hi, Community!

During all the time I work with Power BI I have a bad experience with localization

Input:

- I have a Russian regional settings in my OS Windows

- I always download english PBI installer

- I set English in all PBI regional settings:

Снимок.PNG

and

Снимок.PNG

There are 2 main problems

1. Months names and weekdays names in Modeling ribbon and visuals are always Cyrilic (russian local regional):

Безымянный.png

But I have to mention that ih hierarchy mode it displays as appropriated

Снимок.PNG

2. Second problem - delimiters

I see most of the Community users have commas as delimiters, I have semicolons. So, to help other users I always replace my semicolons to commas before posting. It's a huge monkey job. Is there any place where I can set delimiter by default?

Comments
v-qiuyu-msft
Community Support

Hi @az38

For the Date format value month name and week name display as Russian language, and the DAX separator uses semicolon, I will report it internally soon. 

For the issue that date hierarchy month name shows as English, it's reported internally before: CRI 171945259. This is by design. Auto generated date tables are using Data Model language for translation. Please refer to this document: https://docs.microsoft.com/en-us/power-bi/desktop-auto-date-time

Best Regards,
Qiuyun Yu

az38
Community Champion

@v-qiuyu-msft 

hierarchy monthes names is ok for me - it's an example what I'm expecting in the Modeling ribbon

v-qiuyu-msft
Community Support

Hi @az38

For the issue regarding Date format value month name and week name display as Russian language, and the DAX separator uses semicolon, I have reported it internally: CRI 183059672. Will keep you update here once I get any information. 

Best Regards,
Qiuyun Yu

v-qiuyu-msft
Community Support
Status changed to: Accepted

v-qiuyu-msft
Community Support

Hi @az38

I got information below: 

"A fix is coming for this in our May release.  Our documentation will be updated after the May release to say:

DAX authoring will now default to using the standard DAX characters of comma as the list separator and period as the decimal symbol. Before this change, Power BI required you to type the list separator and decimal symbols defined by your machine's Region settings. Behind the scenes Power BI would convert your localized DAX to the standard separators required by the AS engine before saving. Unfortunately, this lead to some confusing errors in some cases, and made it hard for customers in different regions to share DAX snippets easily. The option to return to the old localized behavior driven by your machine's Region settings is under Options and Settings > Global > Regional settings. "

Best Regards,
Qiuyun Yu

v-qiuyu-msft
Community Support

Hi @az38

Please download Power BI desktop May 2020 version then test again:: https://powerbi.microsoft.com/en-us/blog/power-bi-desktop-may-2020-feature-summary/

Best Regards,
Qiuyun Yu

az38
Community Champion

Hi @v-qiuyu-msft 

I confirm solution with separators, thank you!

but month names is still a problem

Anonymous
Not applicable

Hi peeps,

Is this issue solved? I'm having the same problem.

TY.