Skip to main content
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Register now to learn Fabric in free live sessions led by the best Microsoft experts. From Apr 16 to May 9, in English and Spanish.

Refresh issues with December Update

Hi Team - I have a PBIX file that refreshed without issues in the Nov release. It throws me an error in the December update.
Source Details -
-SQL Server DB
-Queries contain CTE's
-Connected using Import mode
-Creating a table visual with ~150 columns

I verified that this file still works with the Nov version. Can you please suggest some options.

Comments
v-qiuyu-msft
Community Support

Hi @avikkal89,

Based on my test in the latest desktop version 2.53.4954.621 64-bit (December 2017) with CTE query, refresh data without any error occurs. 

with CTE(SalesOrderID, UnitPrice,OrderQty)
As (select SalesOrderID, UnitPrice,OrderQty from [Sales].[SalesOrderDetail] where LineTotal IS not NULL)
select SalesOrderID,MAX(UnitPrice) as MaxP, SUM(OrderQty) as TotalQty from CTE
group by SalesOrderID

1. Which December desktop version did you run? The latest is 2.53.4954.621 which released yesterday. Please update to this new version. 

2. When you refreshed in desktop, which error message threw out? Please show detail error with us. 

3. Please create a new simple report, use T-SQL query like above query then test again. 

4. When you said Nov version was working, did you install Nov version and December version on the same machine? 

Best Regards,
Qiuyun Yu

Vicky_Song
Impactful Individual
Status changed to: Needs Info

avikkal89
Frequent Visitor

@v-qiuyu-msft

1) I ran the same version as yours. Version: 2.53.4954.621 64-bit (December 2017)

2) Here is the error that I get when tried to open the file in Dec Version

Session ID:
4196bf81-f55e-4aae-8b38-8632287d25f3

Release:
December 2017

Product Version:
2.53.4954.621 (PBIDesktop) (x64)

JS Error Message:
value.replace is not a function

3) I am creating a table visual with 177 columns in my pbix which worked in the Nov version. Therefore I assume that the issue might not be with using a CTE. But I guess it coculd be this visual that is throwing an error in Dec version. 

4) I had my PBIX wokring with the Nov version. So, I uninstalled the Dec version and re-installed the Nov version on my same veersion. 

Here is the Nov version that I use - Version: 2.52.4921.682 64-bit (November 2017)

Please let me know if you need anymore details 

v-qiuyu-msft
Community Support

Hi @avikkal89,

Did the same issue happen when you opened another pbix file which also get data from the same SQL database? 

When you said "I guess it coculd be this visual that is throwing an error in Dec version. ", which visual you mean? 

Best Regards,
Qiuyun Yu 

avikkal89
Frequent Visitor

Hi @v-qiuyu-msft

I am using the Table visual. 

v-qiuyu-msft
Community Support

Hi @avikkal89,

Does other reports which also use table visuals has refresh issue when you open it in Dec desktop? 

Best Regards,
Qiuyun Yu 

avikkal89
Frequent Visitor

hi @v-qiuyu-msft

No - it is just this visual. 

I got a response from the Prod team mentioning that this is a known issue and they are currently working on a fix. 

The workaround is to use fewer columns (less than 35 columns) in your table visual or use a Matrix visual. 

Since they do not meet my criteria, I will have to continue using the Nov release version until the fix is out. As of today, I do not have an ETA on the fix. 

Thanks

v-qiuyu-msft
Community Support

Hi @avikkal89

Once you get update from product team, would you please update it in this thread as well? 

It will benefit other communities who has the same issue. Thanks. Smiley Happy

Best Regards,
Qiuyun Yu 

avikkal89
Frequent Visitor

Hi @v-qiuyu-msft - Will do! 

Latest update - the product team has confrimed that they are working on this fix and a new build will be released as soon as possible. No ETA yet.