Skip to main content
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

The ultimate Microsoft Fabric, Power BI, Azure AI & SQL learning event! Join us in Las Vegas from March 26-28, 2024. Use code MSCUST for a $100 discount. Register Now

Refresh error in Power BI Service for pivoted table

One of my datasets sometimes gives the following error: "The 'XXX' column does not exist in the rowset. I am getting this error for a table that I have pivoted. However, in Power Query, after the pivot transformation I am not referencing anywhere the column that is raising the error. When I download the pbix file and manually refresh the file, the dataset refreshes without any problem. However, after a while the error reappears for another column that stops existing after the pivot. Why does this happen?

Explain the reason in detail and give the suggestions

Comments
v-robertq-msft
Community Support

Hi, @kaptureBI20 

According to your error message, the reason seems to be the data change in the data source leading to the data model change in your dataset. Because you have used the “Pivot columns” transformation in the Power query, the value of one of the columns in your data source has been transformed as the column names in your dataset. Therefore, once the value of the pivoted column in your data source changed, the column names will mismatch with the value in your data source, then the error occurs.

Here are some of my test screenshots:

This is my “Pivot columns” transformation in the Power query:

v-robertq-msft_0-1615534859311.png

v-robertq-msft_1-1615534859316.png

Once I changed the value of the pivoted column in the data source(ID), the error occurs, which is the same as yours, and when I reverted to before, it succeeded:

v-robertq-msft_2-1615534859317.png

v-robertq-msft_3-1615534859334.png

Therefore, I think this can’t be an issue in Power BI. I suggest you to keep the value of the pivoted column in the data source unchanged and check if the data refresh can work.

Thank you very much!

Best Regards,

Community Support Team _Robert Qin

If this post helps, then please consider Accept it as the solution to help the other members find it more quickly.

v-robertq-msft
Community Support
Status changed to: Delivered

Explain the reason in detail and give the suggestions