Skip to main content
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Register now to learn Fabric in free live sessions led by the best Microsoft experts. From Apr 16 to May 9, in English and Spanish.

Refresh error: Underlying error messageInformation is needed in order to combine data

Why do I keep getting this error on refresh in Power Bi Service? The issue does not occur when I refresh in Power BI Desktop. I am merging two queries into a new query which then I load and use in the report. See error below and kindly advise:

Something went wrong
Unable to connect to the data source undefined.
Please try again later or contact support. If you contact support, please provide these details.
Underlying error code: -2147467259 Table: CLTSPreTriggerSurveyView.
Underlying error message: Information is needed in order to combine data
DM_ErrorDetailNameCode_UnderlyingHResult: -2147467259
Microsoft.Data.Mashup.MashupSecurityException.DataSources: [{"kind":"Web","path":"https://www.commcarehq.org/a/mawa-wash/data/export/custom/dailysaved/download/417b5cadb186746914a3adbe8bf7f2b7/"},{"kind":"Web","path":"https://www.commcarehq.org/a/mawa-wash/data/export/custom/dailysaved/download/5301b91fe095515d681cd145a4c7694f/"}]
Microsoft.Data.Mashup.MashupSecurityException.Reason: PrivacySetting
Cluster URI: WABI-US-EAST2-redirect.analysis.windows.net
Activity ID: 3ebbbced-48a9-4837-b9f8-79a8a7d0f53e
Request ID: 9412cd8d-606d-f623-9968-80360c77d254
Time: 2019-04-15 19:58:41Z
Comments
v-yulgu-msft
Employee

Hi @Anonymous ,

What types of data source were loaded into desktop? If removing the merged step, does error persist when refreshing in service?

Since there existing two kinds of data source in a single dataset, did you add both of them into data gateway?

Besides, please update data gateway to the latest one and set Privacy Level to Organizational for a test. 

Best regards,

Yuiana Gu

v-yulgu-msft
Employee
Status changed to: Needs Info

Anonymous
Not applicable

@v-yulgu-msft  It is an extremely annoying experience! I am using the Web Connector to connect to an online Web API which serves data in excel formats(.xslx and .csv). All the endpoints used in my dataset are serving data as .xslx. While in Power BI Desktop, data gets refreshed and merged with no issues, but once published to Power BI Service, the Refresh fails with the PrivacySettings Error.

The Data Source Settings on the Gateways Data Source Settings Page in Power BI Service are as below:

A. Gateway Cluster Settings

1. Allow user's cloud data sources to refresh through this gateway cluster=ON
  2. Allow user's custom data connectors to refresh through this gateway cluster=ON
  3. Distribute requests across all active gateways in this cluster=ON

B. Data Source Settings

1. Data Source Type=Web
  2. URL="some base url"
  3. Authentication Method=Basic
  4. Username="some username"
  5. Password="some password"
  6. Privacy Level Settings for this data source=None

With this setup, each endpoint in the dataset, that is using this Gateway Configuration, gets authenticated on my behalf, and so I do not need to pass credentials for each dataset or endpoint since they are all coming from the same API, and that credentials to each API domain are managed by the respective Gateway Cluster Settings.

This works fine and as expected until when I publish a dataset with a merged query! The refresh works in Power BI Desktop even with merged queries but fails when refreshed from Power BI Service, regardless of whether the refresh is manual or scheduled.

I hope this gives you some context.

Thanks,

Chaiwa.