Skip to main content
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Register now to learn Fabric in free live sessions led by the best Microsoft experts. From Apr 16 to May 9, in English and Spanish.

Refresh dataset not working - only online data sources, still asks for gateway

Hi Team,

Could you please let us know what is the support difference here.

When i use an import dataset, my enterprise gateway shows disabled / greyed out, however the personal gateway is online and working.

Does the usage of on-premise gateway's (Enterprise and Personal) based on the how we have built our Dashbaord (Import vs Direct Query)

Request your help!

Comments
v-qiuyu-msft
Community Support

Hi @Anonymous,

To make the on-premise data gateway available for the dataset, all used data sources in the data sources need to be created under data gateway in Manage Gateways. As long as the data sources created under data gateway match the data source used in the dataset, we can use the data gateway both for dataset use Import or DirectQuery. You can have a look at the sample get data from SQL Server: Manage your data source - SQL Server

While on-premise data gateway(personal mode) don't have this check, once we have installed the on-premise data gateway(personal mode), we can set dataset use this kind of gateway as long as data sources supports, then enter credential under Data Source Credentials. For more information, see: https://docs.microsoft.com/en-us/power-bi/service-gateway-personal-mode

In your scenario, as you mentioned online data source, does the dataset contains “mash up” data (i.e.  Merge/Append or other query references involved)? The on-premise data gateway supports refreshing datasets that connect to Online and On-prem sources but that do not “mash up” data between them (i.e. no Merge/Append or other query references involved). See: Combine enterprise gateway and online data sources

Best Regards,
Qiuyun Yu