Skip to main content
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Register now to learn Fabric in free live sessions led by the best Microsoft experts. From Apr 16 to May 9, in English and Spanish.

Re-adding a deleted dataset does not import relationships

If I have a model with some data sources and then add a DirectQuery to another existing dataset everything looks as expected. That data model is added to the first and its relationships and measures are maintained. If I then proceed to delete the connection to that dataset, all tables from that dataset is removed. So far everything works as expected.

But if I now realize I do want to have that connection again and add it to my existing model again, it does not work as expected. All the tables are added but they have no relationships this time. This is, of course, not what you want if you connect to a complex dataset.

Steps to reproduce:

1. Start with an existing data model
  2. Create a DirectQuery connection to a live dataset. Observe that relationships in imported tables are maintained.
  3. Delete that Data Source from the current file.
  4. Create a DirectQuery connection to the same live dataset. Observe that imported tables have no relationships.
Comments
v-chuncz-msft
Community Support

@GaryFisken 

You may save the file and reopen to connect the dataset.

GaryFisken
Frequent Visitor

@v-chuncz-msft 

Thank you, that seem to work. So you are not completely breaking your file by adding a dataset then. I would still consider it a bug, however.