Skip to main content
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Register now to learn Fabric in free live sessions led by the best Microsoft experts. From Apr 16 to May 9, in English and Spanish.

R Script Running Issue

Hi,

I have puplished power BI page to (app.powerbi.com) which include 3 visualizations of R scripts.

Although in PowerBI desktop the scripts are running fine, in (app.powerbi.com) the mentioned R scripts run for limited time. As an example when I select 2-4 items in the page that trigger the run of the mentioned 3 R scripts, the scripts run correctly, but if I started selecting more than 4 elements the script stop working without showing any error message.

I assume that such behavior is due to the limited cache provided for R scripts in (app.powerbi.com), therefore I would like to check with you if I need to include in code that refreshes the scripts every time they run to clear the cache?

Hi @mutawakelm,

There are some known limitations on running R script. And this issue is very likely that the calculation exceeds the limitatioin.

• Data sizes: Data used by an R visual for plotting is limited to 150,000 rows. If more than 150,000 rows are selected, only the top 150,000 rows are used and a message is displayed on the image.
  • Output size : R visual has an output size limit of 2MB.
  • Resolution: All R visuals are displayed at 72 DPI.
  • Plotting device: Only plotting to the default device is supported.
  • Calculation times: If an R visual calculation exceeds five minutes, it causes a time-out error.
  • If the input dataset of an R Visual has a column that contains a string value longer than 32766 characters, that value is truncated.

For more details, you could refer to Create advanced analytics and visualizations using R scripts - Power BI | Microsoft Docs and Create Power BI visuals using R - Power BI | Microsoft Docs.

Best Regards,    

Community Support Team _ Caiyun

Comments
v-cazheng-msft
Community Support
Status changed to: Investigating

Hi @mutawakelm,

There are some known limitations on running R script. And this issue is very likely that the calculation exceeds the limitatioin.

• Data sizes: Data used by an R visual for plotting is limited to 150,000 rows. If more than 150,000 rows are selected, only the top 150,000 rows are used and a message is displayed on the image.
  • Output size : R visual has an output size limit of 2MB.
  • Resolution: All R visuals are displayed at 72 DPI.
  • Plotting device: Only plotting to the default device is supported.
  • Calculation times: If an R visual calculation exceeds five minutes, it causes a time-out error.
  • If the input dataset of an R Visual has a column that contains a string value longer than 32766 characters, that value is truncated.

For more details, you could refer to Create advanced analytics and visualizations using R scripts - Power BI | Microsoft Docs and Create Power BI visuals using R - Power BI | Microsoft Docs.

Best Regards,    

Community Support Team _ Caiyun