Skip to main content
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Register now to learn Fabric in free live sessions led by the best Microsoft experts. From Apr 16 to May 9, in English and Spanish.

Quickbooks Online not working

I am able to sign in to quickbooks online via the power bi online web service and the desktop version. It does not however seem to work. 

the online version simply populates everything as "blank" and the desktop version fails to connect. 

Comments
v-qiuyu-msft
Community Support

Hi @chrisdt1986 ,

I have tested on my side both in Power BI desktop and service, but not able to reproduce the issue. I would suggest you test again. For Power BI desktop, please update it to the latest version 2.66.5376.1681

Best Regards,
Qiuyun Yu 

fionalindberg
Regular Visitor

Chris,

I've absolutely reproduced this error. It is very frustrating. I combine revenue data from 6 different sources including Quickbooks Online (QBO). Its worked for months. I've had to add another revenue stream to the report and now the QBO authentication/re-authentication dialog is blank and I can't proceed, and therefore can't publish my updates. I've tried clearing credentials and re-entering. I've opened up a ticket with MS Support and will keep you posted. 

I think the December or February Power BI Desktop update broke the connector. Not sure without further trouble-shooting. The QBO connector is weak in its current form as it forces you to select the company within the account. There is no support for multiple companies within one pbix file. 

I'm experimenting going further upstream to Data Azure Factory to stage data, but now there is a disconnect between Microsoft's OAauth1 support for the connector and QBO now only supporting OAuth2, UGH....QBO Product Team, please stabilize this data connector.

JJL1990
Frequent Visitor

Hi @v-qiuyu-msft 

I am having the same issue, is there a solution to this?

Kind Regards

fionalindberg
Regular Visitor

The March release of Power BI Desktop resolved this issue.

JJL1990
Frequent Visitor

Hi @fionalindberg , its working if you download the version from PBI services or from the website but not from the Microsoft store. However I encountered a problem where firewall permission and AD rights have stopped it from working properly too

fionalindberg
Regular Visitor

@JJL1990 The connection itself is working fine (albeit with constraints, see below) via both downloading the PowerBI desktop client or installing from Microsoft store. Is your security issue in PowerBI desktop or after you publish to PowerBI service with refreshes not working. I have noticed in the past few weeks (May release), the credentials in service are no longer working in some cases. I can usually re-authenticate in service and then refreshes work again. However, in one case (not QBO related) I ended up having to delete the dataset from Service and republish and then it was fine. Ugh. I love Power BI, but there do seem to be niggling ongoing problems with Service.

As for QBO itself, the biggest problem I have with the connector is you can only connect to ONE company within a QBO account within a report. This is highly frustrating because we have 4 companies in our QBO account. I've worked with Support on this and they say that the Product team is considering this. As an alternative I tried to stage the data upstream in Azure Data Factory ADF). That was no go because QBO require OAuth2 and ADF currently supports OAuth.

RDK

I am getting only the balance sheet amounts when I connect.  The revenue and expense accounts are coming over with account number, names, etc. but not balance amounts.  Why would it bring in balance sheet amounts and not all balances?  Am i better to work online rather than desktop when trying to do this?  There seems to be more power on the desktop so am trying to work with that, bring in data from QBO, massage it and then produce reports and dashboards from it.