Skip to main content
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Register now to learn Fabric in free live sessions led by the best Microsoft experts. From Apr 16 to May 9, in English and Spanish.

Query editor: Collapse All should, well, collapse all

The query editor always opens with all query groups expanded. For larger numbers of queries, it would be convenient to be able to collapse all query groups at once. According to this idea: https://ideas.powerbi.com/forums/265200-power-bi-ideas/suggestions/8274687-it-would-be-useful-if-the... , this has been implemented long ago, and indeed, there's a 'Collapse all' option in the right-click menu. However, this option only collapses (or expands) the current group, not all groups.

Comments
v-yuezhe-msft
Employee

@Michiel,

What version of Power BI Desktop do you use? In the latest version, when I use Collapse all option in Fields panel , it collapses all queries. In Query Editor of Power BI Desktop, there is no Collapse all option by right-clicking a query.

1.PNG2.PNG

Regards,
Lydia

v-yuezhe-msft
Employee
Status changed to: Delivered

Michiel
Resolver III

I use the September version, and I'm not talking about the fields panel but the Query editor. There's no 'Collapse all' option on a query obviously, as a query cannot be collapsed; but the option is available on a query group. That's where the issue is.

collapse.png

v-yuezhe-msft
Employee

@Michiel,

The idea you mention in your post is referring to the Collapse all option in Fields panel of Report view, but not Query Editor.

In Query Editor, when you use Collapse all option in a group, it will collapse all queries under this group, which will not impact other groups. For your requirement, you can submit a new idea in Power BI ideas forum.

There is also a similar idea, you can vote it up.

https://ideas.powerbi.com/forums/265200-power-bi-ideas/suggestions/34865791-collapse-uncollapse-grou...

Regards,
Lydia

Michiel
Resolver III

Ah, my bad - the 'things' in the Fields pane are generally referred to as tables, not queries (as in: 'New table'), that's why I was confused about the earlier idea.

I will go on and post this idea but still think there's an issue with this, in that the terminology used is not consistent. In the Fields panel, and in Excel etc. as well, 'collapse all' means collapsing all groups of fields, or tables, at the same time, not only one group/table. What happens in the Query editor is 'Collapse', not 'Collapse all'.

vsmurli
Advocate IV
Agree. I currently have a report with some 30-40 Queries and 10+ Groups and it would be very convenient if these could either open collapsed or if the Collapse All button worked. When clicked, the current Collapse All button works as a mere Collapse button without accomplishing the 'All'.
Anonymous
Not applicable

Totally agree! I am currently working on 20+ groups which is currently quite incovenient. When opening Query Editor all groups are expanded so with every Query Editor opening I need to collapse them all manually. It would definitely help if the "Collapse all" button collapsed all the groups at once. 

Anonymous
Not applicable

Totally agree! I am currently working on 20+ groups which is currently quite incovenient. When opening Query Editor all groups are expanded so with every Query Editor opening I need to collapse them all manually. It would definitely help if the "Collapse all" button collapsed all the groups at once.

DQuigg
Advocate III

Same exact thing for me - I am using the Folder option as a data source which automatically creates a folder. Since I have several hundred sets of files, it is really annoying when it always opens up with every folder expanded. As noted, collapse all only collapses the current branch.

DQuigg
Advocate III

I found an inelegant (if that is a word) workaround. Since the folders can be nested, I created a folder called All Folders and put all of the other sub-folders underneath that one. Then I can mimic a collapse all by clicking on that folder.