Skip to main content
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Register now to learn Fabric in free live sessions led by the best Microsoft experts. From Apr 16 to May 9, in English and Spanish.

Query Designer is a bug and should be removed/commented out

Query Designer that features within SSRS and Report Builder is problematic.

+ QD holds separate hidden querys and parameters, ie dataset properties and QD can get out of synch

+ dax studio for dax and ssms for sql are far superior tools

So lets cut QD out of the code base and solve all the headaches.

Currently as far as I know Query Desinger in Report Builder is built-in and by design.

See: Build a Query in the Relational Query Designer (Report Builder and SSRS) 

'QD holds separate hidden querys and parameters, ie dataset properties and QD can get out of synch'

About QD can get out of synch, you can consider sharing more details about it like a sample.

In addition, you can create a new idea here for Query Desinger to help us improve Power BI.

It is a place for customers provide feedback about Microsoft Office products . What’s more, if a feedback is high voted there by other customers, it will be promising that Microsoft Product Team will take it into consideration when designing the next version in the future.

Best Regards,
Community Support Team _ Yingjie Li

Comments
v-yingjl
Community Support
Status changed to: Investigating

Currently as far as I know Query Desinger in Report Builder is built-in and by design.

See: Build a Query in the Relational Query Designer (Report Builder and SSRS) 

'QD holds separate hidden querys and parameters, ie dataset properties and QD can get out of synch'

About QD can get out of synch, you can consider sharing more details about it like a sample.

In addition, you can create a new idea here for Query Desinger to help us improve Power BI.

It is a place for customers provide feedback about Microsoft Office products . What’s more, if a feedback is high voted there by other customers, it will be promising that Microsoft Product Team will take it into consideration when designing the next version in the future.

Best Regards,
Community Support Team _ Yingjie Li

garythomannCoGC
Impactful Individual

Thanks Yingjie for your response.  Firstly you might want to fix typos in your post: Query Desinger = Query Designer (2),  DQ = QD (1) as could lead to some confusion.  Mistakes are easily made as we all know 🙂

Posted this one due to my current frustrations trying to solve an issue.

report builder results sometimes differ to that of dax query 

Interesting that I could cut out all the QD references manually from the rdl source and the report still works.

Unfortunately though this did not fix my error but surely removed any future potential problems with out of sync query code.

garythomannCoGC
Impactful Individual

If you are here then to resolve the issue I had and has tripped me up a number of times since is to add the query to Query Designer and matchup the parameters.  For me the out of sync issue occurs when there are parameter change(s).  While the parameters between the 'front' query and the QD query match then one forgets about and does not need to think about the QD query.  Once you make a parameter change then all the fun begins until you remember to match update the QD query.  

Aaron_C
Frequent Visitor

Hey all!

This bug is still very much active unfortunately!

Spent quite a bit of time troubleshooting yesterday, with my resolution ultimately being to delete my Datasets and write fresh ones.

Seems that at some point in the datasets history, it had Query Designer enabled and had legacy parameters active here!

Unfortunate that we cannot simply amend an existing query, if we decide we need to update or rename a parameter 😞

Happy to details to the product team if needed, or if someone want to get in touch!

Thanks,
Aaron