Skip to main content
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Register now to learn Fabric in free live sessions led by the best Microsoft experts. From Apr 16 to May 9, in English and Spanish.

Python Script Refresh Error via Service/Personal Gateway

I cannot for the life of me figure out how to get my python script datasoruce to refresh in power bi service via a personal gateway.

I am using:

• A seperate anaconda power bi env (python 3.6) with all the required packages
  • I've configured power bi desktop to point to this installation by selecting other and then routing to the path
  • Dataset/dataframe loads and works in desktop
  • After publishing to the service I try to configure the datasource credentials but get the following error:
  • August Versions of both Desktop and Personal Gateway (Fresh Install)

"Failed to update data source credentials: ADO.NET: Python installation not found. A Python installation wasn’t found in this location. Please follow the instructions provided in the “How to install Python” link to install Python. If Python is installed and this message persists, provide the installation path in the dialog."

In the box below is:

extensionDataSourceKind: Python

extensionDataSourcePath: Python

Authenticaiton method: WindowsWithoutImpersonation

Privacy Setting: Public

Questions

1. The error message seems to indicate that I should be able to provide the installation path in the dialoge but what dialgue is that?  The extensionDataSourcePath field is grayed out?  It seems like the error messaging is incorrect.
Comments
Anonymous
Not applicable

As an Update. Refresh does seem to be working with a fresh (non anaconda) distribution of python.  When in power bi desktop the python installation was "discovered" and I did not have to select "Other".  Is there a known limitation on refresh ability depending on the python distrbution or directory structure leading to the python exe.?

v-chuncz-msft
Community Support

@Anonymous 

To get faster and better technical support for this issue, you may directly create a support ticket.

Anonymous
Not applicable

@Anonymous were you able to resolve this issue ? 
I'm facing a similar issue, where dataset refresh doesnt happen when I use a separate virtualenv for power bi. If I use the base python installation, then the dataset refresh happens fine.. 😞

Anonymous
Not applicable

Hi @Anonymous

Unfortunately no, I was not able to get this fixed. I ended up just using the default python env.  Best of luck.

Anonymous
Not applicable

I have 2 Python installations on my computer and would like to connect to the base python installation instead of condas. On powerbi desktop the dashboard is connected to the base python, but after a gateway connection I cannot sign in because error is thrown on the condas installation, how do I change it to my base python installation?

Richard917
Regular Visitor

@Anonymous Were you ever able to solve your issue?  I am having the exact same issue.  I have anaconda installation and a nonanaconda installation.  My PBI desktop file runs successfully from the nonanaconda environment.  I had to create it because I could not get the desktop file to run when using anaconda.  When i publish the dashboard, I am not able to schedule a refresh.  When setting the credentials, I get an error about package issues on  the anaconda environment.  The pbix file does not references the anaconda environment.  Been trying to figure this out for days. Seems like the personall gateway independently defaults to the anaconda environment.  I don't know how to change that.  Any guidance would be greatly appreciated

Anonymous
Not applicable

@Richard917 , I tried the exact same thing but failed.

Could you may be un-install the condas environment completely, keep only the base python on your machine, build another gateway and give this a try. In my case my condas environment is being banked upon by other resources, so was not able to try it.

Let's try to see if we find a solution.

-Appreciate you tagging me on the post

Richard917
Regular Visitor

@Anonymous Thanks for reply. I am in same situation as you.  I have a lot of stuff tied to anaconda installation.  Uninstalling it is my last resort. I don't want to go through the trouble of recreating the virtual environments.  Someone from Microsoft contacted me.  They are looking into it.  I will post back here if I get anywhere