Skip to main content
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Register now to learn Fabric in free live sessions led by the best Microsoft experts. From Apr 16 to May 9, in English and Spanish.

Published changes not showing in Service

Visualization changes in pbix files are not showing in Reports after publishing the files to the service. 

• It started happening this week
  • Formatting and query changes do not flow to the service
  • Tried
    • Deleting report from the service and republishing - no fix
    • Duplicating sheet, making changes in duplicated sheet and republishing - no fix.  In fact, the new duplicated sheet doesn't even show in the service
  • Only way to fix
    • Deleting dataset
    • Republishing dataset/report
    • Setting up new RSL
    • Resharing the report with the audience

I have another report with the same problem.  I don't want to go through the long process of rebuilding RSL and sharing the new report.

Thanks for your help.

Jason

Problem in the service version

Broken.PNG

Fixed in pbix file - After I republish, the above still shows.

Fixed.PNG

Comments
v-qiuyu-msft
Community Support

Hi @jolbright,

Which change you made to the pbix file? Do you add any new RLS roles? When you click on See Details in screenshot error message, which detail error display? 

After republish the report to Power BI service, we need to go to Dataset Security tab, to make sure shared users are under corresponding RLS role correctly. 

Best Regards,
Qiuyun Yu 

Vicky_Song
Impactful Individual
Status changed to: Needs Info

jolbright
Regular Visitor

I'm making minor changes to the pbix file, not RSL changes.  I've done all of the following, but none of the changes show up in the service after publishing.

• Add another metric to Columns in a Matrix table
  • Change the background color of a matrix table
  • Change the header color of a Slicer
  • In the error image shown above, I had deleted a value from a Clustered Column Chart.  In the pbix file, that value is gone.  After publishing the value is still in the service, that's why it shows the error.  The image below shows what is seen in the pbix file (no error)
  • I duplicated a sheet.  The duplicated sheet doesn't show up in the service despite showing in the pbix file

The only fix I've found is to delete the dataset and republish the report.  As mentioned above, this requires me to set up RSL security again and reshare the report with my audience because everything has changed.

Please help.

jolbright
Regular Visitor

Through another support group, we were able to figure out the problem and solution.  Posting here for the community.

Problem:  After publishes, data changes come through, but no visualization changes display.  The datasets were associated with aliases that were no longer in the organization.  When a report is first published, it is associated with the alias of that person.  Once that person is no longer in the organization, visualization changes to pbix files are no longer reflected in the service, regardless of who publishes. 

Solution:  In the service, change the “configured by” person to someone who is in the organization.

• Go to the Dataset of the problem report
  • Dataset -> SCHEDULE REFRESH -> click the “Take Control” button
  • The dataset will now be associated with the new alias
  • Future publishes will display any visualization changes
KJCooney
Frequent Visitor

I am having the same problem but I don't think it's the same root cause. No ownership has changed or been removed, I own all the datasets and all I want to do is format my titles as URLS. This works fine when I publish in my workspace but the URLs do not appear when I share the report. I can't see how this can be an ownership issue as I am the only person working on this report.

I have used the workaround above (deleting and then republishing) to get around this for now but I am starting a new project and will need a permanent URL for my report.