Skip to main content
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Register now to learn Fabric in free live sessions led by the best Microsoft experts. From Apr 16 to May 9, in English and Spanish.

Publish to same link but different login

Hi Would like to ask how to publish the PowerBI to web with the same link but the login credentials will be different?

Thank you in advance for answering.

Comments
v-yuezhe-msft
Employee

@joyce23,

Could you please describe more details about the above requirement? Do you use Publish to web feature in Power BI Service? If so, why do you want to get the link with different login?

Actually, when using the publish to web feature, it doesn't require any credentials or Power BI account to access the publish to web report.

Regards,
Lydia

joyce23
Frequent Visitor

Hi Lydia,

Please see sample scenario below for better understanding.

Process Step

1. Create powerBI presentation using the powerBI app installed in the PC - save it as sample1.pbix

2. Log in to powerBI app installed in the PC using credential - sample10@xxx.com

3. Using the powerBI app installed in the PC, publish the report using the Publish button in the Home ribbon

4. Go to the app.powerbi.com then go to the report you want to publish. Click file then publish to the web. There you can see the generated embed code/link that you can share in public. 

sample1.pbix using sample10@xxx.com link - https://app.powerbi.com/view?r=abcdefghij

My problem now is if I login in the powerBI app installed in the PC using a different credential - sample20@xxx.com. Do step 3 and 4. The link i will be getting will be different from the first link that i generated. sample1.pbix link will now be - https://app.powerbi.com/view?r=klmnopqrst

Now I want that whoever publish the report the same link will be generated.

Hope this clarifies my concern. Please feel free to ask more should you need more details.

Thank you.

v-yuezhe-msft
Employee

@joyce23,

It is not possible to get same link as you describe. Why do you need to generate publish to web link using different login? You can just use the first link, as it doesn't require Power BI account to access Publish to web link.

Regards,
Lydia

v-yuezhe-msft
Employee
Status changed to: Needs Info

joyce23
Frequent Visitor

Hi Lydia,

The thing is I am the one updating the power bi report  using the app in the installed in a desktop. I am not just the user of a published link. The issue was what if i resigned how are they going to publish the report in the same link if my credentials are already deleted in the system. 

Do we have another way to do it aside from the steps i described?

Thank you.

Best Regards,

Joyce

v-yuezhe-msft
Employee

@joyce23,

You create the Power BI report in Power Desktop, and other users publish the report to Power BI Service and use "publish to web" link to generate the link, right? If so, even you resigned, other users can still publish the report in Power BI Service to web, the users are using their own Power BI Service account, and it has no relation with your work in Power BI Desktop.

If you publish the report from Power BI Desktop to Power BI Service, and grant other users edit permission on the Power BI report, then other users can download the PBIX file from Power BI Service, and manage the PBIX file on their side. Also they are able to use publish to web feature after you resigned.

Regards,
Lydia

joyce23
Frequent Visitor

Hi Lydia,

How can I grant other users edit permission? Is it on Power BI desktop or on Power BI service? 

Thank you so much.

Regards,

Joyce

v-yuezhe-msft
Employee

@joyce23,

You can directly send the PBIX file to other users and other users can publish the PBIX file to their workspace in Power BI Service.

Or you can publish the PBIX file to an app workspace in Power BI Service, and then grant users edit permission following the guide in this article.

Regards,
Lydia

joyce23
Frequent Visitor

Hi Lydia, @v-yuezhe-msft 

Thank you for your response.

So i think i get now my real problem, how can everyone from my team (using their own log in credentials) publish a report and produce only 1 unique link everytime ? Can we do this in the non pro version of power BI ? If so, how?