Skip to main content
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Earn the coveted Fabric Analytics Engineer certification. 100% off your exam for a limited time only!

Publish to Web is unreliable

We have been Publishing to Web from the Power BI desktop for years.  Our models automatically refresh to the current version.  The models we publish are substantial, but not near the limit for overall size--between 250MB and 600MB.  Publishing has typically taken about a minute or so...more or less.  Recently it's been very difficult to get the models to publish.  I can let them churn for 15 minutes without completion.  I have resorted to hitting cancel, then save (which starts some short save cycle) and then retry.  It can take three or more tries to get a successful upload...which takes about a minute when it works.

Anyone else having this issue?

Thank you,

Tom

When it takes a long time to publish to Power BI Service, whether consider reducing the report size to test it could be published successfully.

Besides, since it takes about 15 minutes and still not be published, whether it hangs on all the time or failed with error message like my first reply mentioned.

You can also consider providing your testi environment like Desktop version, data sources, target workspace type etc.

Best Regards,
Community Support Team _ Yingjie Li

Comments
v-yingjl
Community Support
Status changed to: Investigating

Could not reproduce it in my side as far as my test.

Usually, if it takes a long time to publish reports to Power BI Service, it may cause by many factors like network, the capacity of the target workspace, the complex of the report model and the size of the reports etc which you can consider.

In addition, whether the publish would be failed after taking a long time and some error message about it.

Best Regards,

ThomasDay
Impactful Individual

@v-yingjl Yes, of course there are many factors...Sorry I wasn't clear.  I have a series of models that I continuously update and republish....and the time it now takes for them to publish is unreliable (versus the last several years) taking more than 15 minutes and still not publishing rather than the reliably consistent 1-2 minutes.  If it takes more than 5 minutes, I cancel, hit save, hit publish again.  Sometimes I do this 2 or 3 x before it publishes in the usual 1 or 2 minutes.  

Thank you for investigating,

Tom

v-yingjl
Community Support
Status changed to: Investigating

When it takes a long time to publish to Power BI Service, whether consider reducing the report size to test it could be published successfully.

Besides, since it takes about 15 minutes and still not be published, whether it hangs on all the time or failed with error message like my first reply mentioned.

You can also consider providing your testi environment like Desktop version, data sources, target workspace type etc.

Best Regards,

ThomasDay
Impactful Individual

@v-yingjl   

Considering reducing the size of our models is not an appropriate solution.  Power BI service can handle very large models and ours range from 93MB to 740MB.  Most are 300-500MB.  Our internet speed on the computer that manages these models is 930MBps on upload.  Our Power BI desktop is always current.  The computers that upload have 64GB of memory, XEON level processors, and SSD's and our Windows 10 pro is always current as well.  This computer has all it's drivers and BIOS checked and updated automatically by Dell as required.

Lately, even our OneDrive upload speeds are slow.  We use OneDrive for backups and have 5TB capacity though we use about 1.5TB.  While the Publish to Web upload speeds aren't visible, OneDrive tells me it's upload speed lately is below 20mbps and often around 12mbps.  So, if that's the capacity that MSFT has, well, I guess things just take a long time now.  

Today, I published a model to web and just left it running...and it took about 25 minutes for a 454MB model.  It never failed, it just poked along.  There are other times when it uploads in 1-2 minutes.  It's not like we push models all the time...not at all. Maybe 3 per week when we make changes...and every couple of months we have more updates to post...so maybe 10 in a day.  

Anyway, they don't fail...I can just wait it out I suppose.  That's a very pokey upload speed though I'm sure you would agree given our setup.  I can get things pushed faster if I cancel, save, publish, cancel, save, publish.  Anyway, I guess you can just consider this a FYI and I hope the apparent upload capacity issues in Power BI service smooth out.

Tom