Skip to main content
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Register now to learn Fabric in free live sessions led by the best Microsoft experts. From Apr 16 to May 9, in English and Spanish.

Problems with time intelligence functions and fragmentators after re-generating MasterCalendar table

I have problems with automatically created date / date hierarchy table after re-generating Master Calendar table in Power BI desktop application:

• when You change the time scope in Master Calendar table,
  • then the Master Calendar table and automatic date hierarchy are re-created,
  • then
    • time intelligence functions stop to work correctly.
    • fragmentators with data from automatic date hierarchy stop to show correctly

Here is the detailed case:

Initially - I create the master calendar table named 99_Kalendarz - with the ADDCOLUMNS or GENERATE/RETURN ROW for period: from “1 January 2015” to “31 December 2018”.

99_Kalendarz =
ADDCOLUMNS (
CALENDAR (DATE(2015;1;1); DATE(2018;12;31)) ;
"DataSprz"; FORMAT ( [Date]; "YYYY-MM-DD" );
"Rok"; YEAR ( [Date] );
"Mies"; FORMAT ( [Date]; "MM" );
"RokMies"; FORMAT ( [Date]; "YYYY/MM" );
"DzTygNr"; WEEKDAY ( [Date]; 2 );
"DzTyg"; FORMAT ( [Date]; "ddd" );
"Kw"; "Q" & FORMAT ( [Date]; "Q" );
"RokKw"; FORMAT ( [Date]; "YYYY" ) & "/Q" & FORMAT ( [Date]; "Q" )
)

In both cases Master Calendar table 99_Kalendarz contains the main field [Date] with the complete set of dates in the given period. The [Date] field has datatype Date/Hour and for this field the date hierarchy Year/Quarter/Month/Day is created automatically.

Later You refer to those fields like that:

‘99_Kalendarz[Date].[Date]      – main “Date” field

‘99_Kalendarz[Date].[Rok]        – field „Year” in automatically created hierarchy

‘99_Kalendarz[Date].[Kwartał]  – field „Quarter” in automatically created hierarchy

‘99_Kalendarz[Date].[Miesiąc]  – field „Month” in automatically created hierarchy

‘99_Kalendarz[Date].[Dzień]     – field „Day” in automatically created hierarchy

Then I join the master calendar table to the sales data table and create some time intelligence measures. In time intelligence measures I relate to the master calendar table like this: provide the notation of the field [Date] as a “hierarchical” field in master calendar table: ‘99_Kalendarz’[Date].[Date] as mentioned above:

Sp_WartVKP_LY = CALCULATE( '01_Sprzedaz'[Sp_WartVKP]; SAMEPERIODLASTYEAR( '99_Kalendarz'[Date].[Date] ) )

Time intelligence measures work as expected.

I can also create Fragmentators based on the master calendar table filed ‘99_Kalendarz”[Date].

I have to instruct Fragmentator visualization which part of [Date] field should it use.

[Date].[Date] field or some of automatically created date hierarchy field.

Fragmentators work properly and they show the chosen subpart of [Date] field: Date itself or Year/Quarter/Month/Day (from hierarchy) 

And here comes the problem:

I add new year 2019 to the Master Calendar table ‘99_Kalendarz’

I correct the data for CALENDAR in the table definition:

Then the Master Calendar table is re-generated and also the date hierarchy is probably re-generated automatically

But: After re-generation - the automatic date hierarchy is not visible on the Fields pane.

After this procedure:

• Time intelligence measures stop to work properly.

The notation check does not show any errors - but SAMEPERIODLASTYEAR calculates the “present period” instead of “same period last year”

• Fragmentators which used fields from date hierarchy start to show the basic “Date” field instead of “Year” or “Month” from date hierarchy – probably due to re-generation of automatic date hierarchy

Can You suggest - is it a bug or how can I add the new period (new year) to the master calendar without destroying the Data Model ?

Comments
v-qiuyu-msft
Community Support

Hi @DominikZet,

Would you please share a pbix file with us? If it is, please upload it to your OneDirve and send the share link to me via private message. 

Best Regards,
Qiuyun Yu