Skip to main content
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Earn the coveted Fabric Analytics Engineer certification. 100% off your exam for a limited time only!

Problems with personal gateway

The schedule refresh on this dashboard was working properly however I suddenly received a notification that the schedule refresh/refresh would not work unless I created a personal gateway. Now after creating the personal gateway my schedule refresh is not working if my machine is off. Is there a way to eliminate the personal gateway step and allow my dataflows/dashboard to refresh automatically? Capture.PNG

Comments
v-qiuyu-msft
Community Support

Hi @Anonymous ,

You need to ensure the computer which has personal gateway runs is online during the time the dataset is refreshing. See: 

• You shouldn't install a gateway on a computer, such a laptop, that may be turned off, asleep, or not connected to the Internet because the gateway can't run under any of those circumstances. In addition, gateway performance might suffer over a wireless network.

Reference: 

https://docs.microsoft.com/en-us/power-bi/service-gateway-onprem#requirements

Best Regards,
Qiuyun Yu 

Anonymous
Not applicable

Hi Qiuyun Yu,

Thanks for your response. My question is: can I schedule a refresh for my PBI report without having a personal gateway? Before I installed this personal gateway on my machine, my report was properly refreshing even when my computer was offline. Then, out of no where, it required a personal gateway. Do you have a solution for this? I need my report to refresh automatically even if my computer is offline.

Thanks,

Veronica

v-qiuyu-msft
Community Support

Hi @Anonymous ,

It depends on the data sources used in your dataset. If the dataset contains on-premises data source eg: SQL server data source, it requires gateway to refresh on Power BI service. 

Best Regards,
Qiuyun Yu 

Anonymous
Not applicable

And if it doesn't how do I go about removing the personal gateway so that I can refresh the data?

v-qiuyu-msft
Community Support

Hi @Anonymous, 

I would suggest you check if the dataset does contain on-premises data source firstly. You can download report from Power BI service and open it in Power BI desktop, go to Data Source Settings like below to check which data source you are using:

q1.PNG

If all the data sources are online, you can go to Power BI service Dataset Settings, find the dataset, the Gateway Connection tab should looks like below: 

q2.PNG

Best Regards,
Qiuyun Yu