Skip to main content
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Register now to learn Fabric in free live sessions led by the best Microsoft experts. From Apr 16 to May 9, in English and Spanish.

Problems with Advanced filter for dates

Hi all, 

I have some problems with the advanced date filtering in PowerBi Services. These problems are only in PowerBi Services  and not in PowerBi Desktop. There everything works fine.

We are experiencing following problem with the advaced date filtering in PowerBi Services since some days:

1.The displayed date-format in the filter is: dd.MM.yyyy (as shown in the screenshot)  but inserting a date only works if I'm inserting  in following format: MM/dd/yyyy

1.PNG

2. If I'm choosing a date from the date-picker, I can select the date, then the correct date gets selected (display in the date-field in the MM/dd/yyyy, which shouldn't be like that), but when I open the datepicker again the reversed month/dates are selected. (If I have selected 6. august after reopening the datepicker 8.june is marked/selected)

3.  Inserting a date in the displayed fromat dd.mm.yyyy dosent work. (Using . as separator)  If I'm inserting the date with / as separtor in following format dd/mm/yyyy it gets automatically reversed to mm/dd/yyyy

4. Changing the time by up/down arrow changes the month and days in the date field.  dd/mm  to mm/dd and reverse

Could you please help me with that.

Thanks, 

Max

Comments
v-yuta-msft
Community Support

@max_31 ,

I have made a test but couldn't reproduce this issue. The suggested input date format on my side is M/d/yyyy as below, my power bi desktop version is 2.79.5768.721 64-bit (March 2020).

Capture.PNG 

Regards,

Jimmy Tao

Goofr
Advocate IV

Hi,

We are experiencing the same problem.

As mentioned in the original post this behavior is only visible in the Service.

1. Power BI Desktop

testDate1.PNG

2. Power BI Desktop with filter applied and correct result

testDate2.PNG

3. Power BI Service:

testDate3.PNG

4. Power BI Service filter applied:

testDate4.PNG

This is not correct.

I also tried to change the language in the service to English, but it doesn't help.

Please address this issue.

Thanks in advance,

Frank

ansa_naz
Continued Contributor

We are having this issue too. The date format in the PBI Service filter pane is doing something odd with defaulting to a US format, not the UK format that is used in PBI Desktop

max_31
Advocate I

Hi @v-yuta-msft  ,

thanks for looking into it. But the problem is still there. 

I think the problem is only there if you are using another date-format than the US. Maybe this is the reason why you can't reporduce the issue?

@Goofr  and @ansa_naz  having the same problems, so it looks like there is a bug in the PowerBI Service advanced date-filter. (Both are using also differnet date-Formats than the US)

Could you (or someone on your team, who is using a different date-format) pleasde look into it again?

Thanks,

Max

By the way, since you told me which PowerBI desktop version you are using, I'm using follwing:   

Version: 2.80.5803.1061 64-bit (April 2020)

But I don't think this problem has anything to do with with the current PowerBI desktop version. I'm experencing this with all Reports in PowerBI Services even the ones which where created with an older PowerBI Desktop Version.  So I think this issue must be located some where in PowerBI services.

ansa_naz
Continued Contributor

I am using Version: 2.80.5803.1061 64-bit (April 2020)

We didnt have this issue until fairly recently in PBI Service. We use UK format dates.

If I use the filter pane to Advance Filtering on a date field, the Desktop report returns correct data. But the exact same PBI Service report, with the exact same data within it and same filters, returns different data due to the Advanced Filtering date formatting being in US

ansa_naz
Continued Contributor

Oh by the way @max_31  I have removed the date filter from the report pane for now, and added in a slicer instead, which works okay. But I would much rather have the report pane working properly as the slicer is taking up unnecessary space on report canvas

Anonymous
Not applicable

Hi, 

I have de the same problem in the power bi service (not descktop).

Entering manually in French format does not work (dd/MM/yyyy), only in US format works, is this a bug since the last release!
Example: if I enter 20/03/2020 I cannot apply.

If I enter 02/03/2020 it is February 3 which is applied instead of March 2

Best regards,

CharlotteC
Regular Visitor

Hi 

I'm having the same issue as @max_31.

The format originally showing in the date fields is dd/mm/yyyy however, when I pick a date the month and date format swap to mm/dd/yyyy. 

Also it is selecting the current time in the time boxes and when you click through the times it makes the date format jump back and forward to dd/mm/yyyy and mm/dd/yyyy (see below image of the second date changing format when changing the time).
datefilter2.JPG
I have also had it where when you add a second date and try to put the time to 12:00 AM it greys out the Apply button so you can't apply the filter.

Goofr
Advocate IV

Why is this not being accepted?

CharlotteC
Regular Visitor

@Goofr  No idea, it seems to be quite a common problem. I have been expiriencing it for a couple of weeks now.