Skip to main content
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Register now to learn Fabric in free live sessions led by the best Microsoft experts. From Apr 16 to May 9, in English and Spanish.

Problem with PowerBi Desktop update - July 2018

Feedback Type:
Frown (Error)

Error Message:
SignatureDescription could not be created for the signature algorithm supplied.

Stack Trace:
at System.Security.Cryptography.Xml.SignedXml.CheckSignedInfo(AsymmetricAlgorithm key)
at System.Security.Cryptography.Xml.SignedXml.CheckSignature(AsymmetricAlgorithm key)
at System.Security.Cryptography.Xml.SignedXml.CheckSignature(X509Certificate2 certificate, Boolean verifySignatureOnly)
at MS.Internal.IO.Packaging.XmlDigitalSignatureProcessor.Verify(X509Certificate2 signer)
at System.IO.Packaging.PackageDigitalSignature.Verify(X509Certificate signingCertificate)
at System.IO.Packaging.PackageDigitalSignatureManager.VerifySignatures(Boolean exitOnFailure)
at Microsoft.Mashup.EngineHost.Services.LibraryFile.PqxFile..ctor(Byte[] bytes, Package package, HashSet`1 artifacts)
at Microsoft.Mashup.EngineHost.Services.LibraryFile.PqxFile.Open(Byte[] bytes)
at Microsoft.Mashup.EngineHost.Services.LibraryFile.New(Byte[] bytes, LibraryFile& result, Exception& error)
at Microsoft.Mashup.EngineHost.Services.LibraryService.LibraryInfo..ctor(LibraryService service, ILibrary library)
at Microsoft.Mashup.EngineHost.Services.LibraryService.GetLibraryInfo(ILibrary library)
at Microsoft.Mashup.EngineHost.Services.LibraryService.EnumerateAndLoadLibraries()
at Microsoft.Mashup.EngineHost.Services.LibraryService.Reinitialize(ILibraryProvider[] providers)
at Microsoft.Mashup.Client.UI.Shared.UiExtensibility.UiExtensionHost.LoadModules(Trace innerTrace, IList`1 binaryModules, ILibraryProvider[] providers)
at Microsoft.Mashup.Client.UI.Shared.UiExtensibility.UiExtensionHost.LoadExtensions(IList`1 libraryExtensions, IApplicationPaths applicationPaths, ILibraryProvider internalProvider, String remoteExtensionsUrl)
at Microsoft.PowerBI.Client.Windows.PowerQueryExtensionsLoader.<Load>b__0()
at System.Threading.Tasks.Task.Execute()
--- End of stack trace from previous location where exception was thrown ---
at System.Runtime.ExceptionServices.ExceptionDispatchInfo.Throw()
at Microsoft.PowerBI.Client.Windows.IExceptionHandlerExtensions.<>c__DisplayClass7.<HandleExceptionsWithNestedTasks>b__6()
at Microsoft.Mashup.Host.Document.ExceptionHandlerExtensions.HandleExceptions(IExceptionHandler exceptionHandler, Action action)

Stack Trace Message:
SignatureDescription could not be created for the signature algorithm supplied.

Invocation Stack Trace:
at Microsoft.Mashup.Host.Document.ExceptionExtensions.GetCurrentInvocationStackTrace()
at Microsoft.Mashup.Client.UI.Shared.StackTraceInfo..ctor(String exceptionStackTrace, String invocationStackTrace, String exceptionMessage)
at Microsoft.PowerBI.Client.Windows.Telemetry.PowerBIUserFeedbackServices.ReportException(IWindowHandle activeWindow, IUIHost uiHost, FeedbackPackageInfo feedbackPackageInfo, Exception e, Boolean useGDICapture)
at Microsoft.Mashup.Client.UI.Shared.UnexpectedExceptionHandler.<>c__DisplayClass1.<HandleException>b__0()
at Microsoft.Mashup.Client.UI.Shared.UnexpectedExceptionHandler.HandleException(Exception e)
at Microsoft.Mashup.Host.Document.ExceptionHandlerExtensions.HandleExceptions(IExceptionHandler exceptionHandler, Action action)
at Microsoft.PowerBI.Client.Program.Main(String[] args)

Comments
Anonymous
Not applicable

Team, After updating the PBI to July 2018, I'm also getting this error while launching PBI desktop only in RDP machine. It works fine for me on my local physical machine.

lalthan
Resolver II

I am also getting same error. I have updated to the latest version (July 2018) on two machines.  I am able to open reports on both machines.

However, after enabling some of the preview features on one of the machines, Power BI Desktop will not start anymore giving the above same error. PBI Desktop still works on the other machine

v-qiuyu-msft
Community Support

Hi all,

Please try to install Microsoft .NET Framework 4.6.2 to see if the issue is fixed, see: https://community.powerbi.com/t5/Issues/Power-BI-Desktop-SignatureDescription-could-not-be-created-f...

@lalthan Which preview features do you mean? Please check which .Net version you have installed in the issued machines: https://docs.microsoft.com/en-us/dotnet/framework/migration-guide/how-to-determine-which-versions-ar...

Best Regards,
Qiuyun Yu 

Anonymous
Not applicable

@v-qiuyu-msft - As you suggested, Installed the Microsoft .NET Framework 4.6.2 and the issue is fixed.

Thanks for your help 🙂 

lalthan
Resolver II

@v-qiuyu-msft, I am using .net 4.5.2. The new version (July 2018 PBI Desktop)  was working properly before I enabled the features (I think it is due to Composite Models). I will try to update to the .net version you have referred.

Power BI Desktop July 2018 version installed in another machine with .net 4.5.2 is still working properly without the new preview features enabled.

v-qiuyu-msft
Community Support

Hi all,

PG are working on the fix, please keep an eye on the status of this issue on Support site. 

q3.PNG

Best Regards,
Qiuyun Yu