Skip to main content
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Earn the coveted Fabric Analytics Engineer certification. 100% off your exam for a limited time only!

Problem with 2nd January 2018 update - can't apply query changes

Yesterday I installed the latest PBI Desktop update for January 2018 - the second one for January.

Now, when I Edit Queries and create a new table, then try to apply those changes, the "Apply Query Changes" step gets stuck on the "Creating connection in model" step. It never finishes.

I have reverted to the earlier (12th Jan) version and it works fine. 

Has anyone else seen this?

Comments
v-jiascu-msft
Employee

Hi @nelsong20,

I can't reproduce it. 

1. What's the source of the new table?

2. How did you create it?

Best regards,

Dale

Vicky_Song
Impactful Individual
Status changed to: Needs Info

mmuddasar
Advocate I

Had exact same problem, very frustrating. Exact same solution: reverted to initial Jan update.

One of the symptoms of the problem was that file became unstable upon attempting to create blank query from UI. Other problem was "Apply query changes" taking very long time - it didn't crash but took way too long for a simple 50 row table created using List.Dates.

nelsong20
Advocate II

hi v-jiascu-msft,

Apologies for my delay.

I have tested for the problem again to try to ensure I didn't do something wrong.

Re-installed the latest version of Desktop - downloaded 26th Jan.

In my model I created a new query by duplicating one of my existing ones - a simple query getting 20 rows from an XLS.

At first, this table wasn't specified as Load to Report and I was able to close and apply quite happily.

Specified it as Enable Load to Report, hit 'Close and Apply' and it's been loading my TEST Table, stuck in the "Creating connection in model..." for about 10 minutes now.

Reverted to Jan12th version of Desktop and ran the same test. Back to normal now. It loads the new table as expected.

friedcc
Frequent Visitor

I have a similar problem with the 2nd January 2018 update. Oracle connections no longer work.  

mike_honey
Memorable Member

I think I've hit the same issue: "Apply Query Changes" step gets stuck on the "Creating connection in model" step. It never finishes.  Data source is small Excel file 18kb - reading ~70 rows, ~10 columns from 1 sheet. Same result on another machine running the 19 Jan 2018 build .

Reinstalled build 761 (initial Jan 2018 and suddenly it works as expected.  

nelsong20
Advocate II

I have just tried the new Feb 7th update to PBI Desktop. Was hoping the problem might have gone away. 

But no joy. The problem is still there. I tried creating a new simple table in Query Editor. Upon closing it gets stuck again with "Creating connection in model".

I guess I'm stuck with that old version for now.

Microsoft .... are you seeing this thread? Need some help here please!

mmuddasar
Advocate I

Likewise, tested in Feb update and problem has not been fixed. Please fix as otherwise we are stuck with the old version.

Ehren
Employee

Hi all. I tried reproducing these issues, but everything worked fine for me. There must be something more specific that is causing this. Can you please share any details that might help us find a common factor? Things that would be helpful to know:

• Your Windows version, locale, and bitness (x86 vs. x64)
  • Locale and bitness of Power BI Desktop (x86 vs. x64)
  • Any special options, preview features, etc. that you've enabled or disabled (e.g. options related to loading)
  • EDIT: Do these issues occur if you create a new pbix from scratch, or only for existing files?
  • Anything else you can think of that might be relevant

Thanks for helping us track this down.

Ehren

mmuddasar
Advocate I

Hi Ehren.

This is an issue with particular old files. It is not a problem with old files containing connections to Excel files and web queries. Hoever this file has a small number of queries and I am suspecting the problem relates to number of queries (in my case anyway). And it is not a problem with new files built from scratch.

It is a problem with a file connected to a SQL Server local instance database and OneDrive Excel files. I deleted all the tables in Query Editor from the database and then tried adding blank query.. and it worked! I repeated this but this time removed the tables from my dimensional model, leaving the database tables, and against it worked. I do have a total of 88 queries in Query Editor. Perhaps it is reducing the number of queries that is leading to the problem disappearing? But I don't have this issue in Jan release 1 and earlier.

My OS:

OS Name Microsoft Windows 10 Pro
Version 10.0.16299 Build 16299
System Type x64-based PC
Locale United States

PBI Desktop:

2.55.5010.521 64-bit (February 2018)