Skip to main content
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Register now to learn Fabric in free live sessions led by the best Microsoft experts. From Apr 16 to May 9, in English and Spanish.

Preview.Error: The type of the current preview value is too complex to display.

Hello,

Preview.Error: The type of the current preview value is too complex to display.

Dynamics CRM 2016 update 1.

https://xxx.api.crm4.dynamics.com/api/data/v8.1

2.41.4581.361 64-bit

Table: SystemUsers (note: this i a relative small table).

Conform:

https://community.powerbi.com/t5/Desktop/Why-am-I-getting-the-following-error-quot-Preview-Error-The...

this problem should be fixed in PB October update, but I'm dealing with the same issue as we speak.

Anyone? Thanks!

Comments
lanzinfo

I realize its is a preview feature, All the sudden I am unable to ecport to PowerPoint on a regular basis.  It used to work but now it is not.  Is thera size limitation?, I amthinking it may be an issue as the report has increased in size.  Here is the error message I am recieving

Activity IDf03ee423-38e5-9db8-c1ae-5be4374017cd
Request ID5c6edcd1-f9a4-419c-d279-9f1acf5d706b
Correlation ID79a31de4-b326-eb4d-bf16-94440e66f7ce
Status code500
TimeWed Nov 30 2016 17:25:10 GMT-0500 (Eastern Standard Time)
Version13.0.1700.679
v-haibl-msft
Employee

@mvananaken

There is already a same issue reported internally to Power BI team: CRI 23450434.

I’ll keep an eye on it and post here if there is any update about it.

Best Regards,

Herbert

Vicky_Song
Impactful Individual
Status changed to: Accepted

curth
Power BI Team

The systemusers table itself is relatively small but it has a gigantic collection of navigation properties. In the example I looked at, there were 1792 of them -- which is significantly more than was expected when designing the feature. What happens is that we try to get the type information for all of these columns and in doing so, exceed an internal buffer size.

lanzinfo

I dont understand what is going behind the scenes at Power BI.  Let me try to explain what I am doing, which might help to correct the issue.  First, I love, the feature of exporting to PowerPoint!  It makes combing Power BI reports with other slides to make more powerful presentation.  The reason why thers is so many instances is, I have to create a New PowerBI report for each of my sales professionals.  After each PowerBI report is saved, I create a PowerPoint file for each sales person.  After I complete the down load of the PowerPoint I delete the Power BI report.  If after I deleted the Power BI report, you could delete the instances of what is being created behind the scences.  I hope my feedback helps to make Power BI better because I love the product.  Please contact me if you have any questions.

Thank you

mvananaken
Helper II

Hello @curth,

Thanks for reply, you wroted: "The systemusers table itself is relatively small but it has a gigantic collection of navigation properties. "

Idea:

Add an option to choose / remove columns in the query before showing the error? The buttons are greyed out now and I don't able to downsize it's size.

mvananaken
Helper II

@v-haibl-msft:

Hello Herbert,

This issue still occurs in the newest PB desktop release.  Any updates? Because this error I'm not able to upgrade from Odata 3 to 4 within Dynamics CRM online.

Microsoft advises to use odata 4 for new Dynamics CRM Online PB reports and encourages the use of odata 4.  

Microsoft, please fix this! Earlier bugmessage CRI 23450434 is relative old.

Thanks, Marco

raypx
Regular Visitor

Hi guys,

I got the same issue when trying to retrieve systemuser table, but I found this workaround and it worked for me;

https://community.powerbi.com/t5/Issues/Preview-Error-The-type-of-the-current-preview-value-is-too/i...

Hope this helps.