Skip to main content
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Register now to learn Fabric in free live sessions led by the best Microsoft experts. From Apr 16 to May 9, in English and Spanish.

Preview.Error: The type of the current preview value is too complex to display.

I am building a CRM Reporting dashboard using Power BI with OData connectors to Dynamics 365. 

One of the queries is not allowing me to edit. The query connects to the systemusers table (via OData) in Dynamics 365 as follows:

= OData.Feed("https://hsconnect-uk.crm4.dynamics.com/Api/data/v8.1")

When trying to edit the query, it presents me with the following error message:

Preview.Error: The type of the current preview value is too complex to display.

Details:

I have other queries connecting to other tables in the same data source and they all work fine, but I cannot figure out why this particular query is not allowing me to edit. I’ve tried deleting any relationships in case these were constraining or adding “complexity”, but the error persists.

Any idea why this is happening and how I can get around it?

Comments
v-haibl-msft
Employee

@mkadir

A same issue has been reported to Power BI team internally before: CRI 23450434

The underlying cause here is that the systemusers table typically has multiple relationships with each of the other tables in the database. At this time, they consider the inability to edit the systemusers table to be a known limitation of the product that they will continue to track in internal system.

There was a workaround provided before. You can have a try on it. When the user gets the error, select the table and go into the query editor. The user should get the same error again. Make sure the formula bar is visible in the query editor and click the "fx" button to the right of the formula bar. This will insert the name of the previous step into the formula bar like so:

= systemusers_table

Edit this formula so that it instead looks like

= Table.RemoveColumns(systemusers_table, Table.ColumnsOfType(systemusers_table, {type record, type table}))

(Replacing the "systemusers_table" with the actual symbol, if necessary.)

This will let the user produce reports on the systemusers table as long as they don't need links to other tables.

Best Regards,
Herbert

davebenz

It is September of 2017, and I am still having this problem with some NetSuite tables.  Shocked that it is not fixed yet.

stevenc
Frequent Visitor

@v-haibl-msft

I've just come across this as well, how does this get fixed?  Is there somewhere I can escalate or vote for it?