Skip to main content
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Register now to learn Fabric in free live sessions led by the best Microsoft experts. From Apr 16 to May 9, in English and Spanish.

PowerQuery - Validating queries when saving is taking excessively long time

I'm struggling to be able to work efficiently with Dataflows as I am experiencing excessive times to 'validate' queries after pressing the 'Save & Close' button. For entities with even a minimal amount of transformation (eg. simply changing some column data types) I've experienced wait times of over 3 hours to simply save the query to exit out back to the main entity menu/view. Should things be taking this long for an output schema validation process, regardless of the size of the underlying table data? Is this an issue being experienced by others as well?

This is making it simply impossible for me to work with the Dataflows product in this way.

2019-12-03_16-00-57.png

Comments
cvillegas
Advocate IV

Hi all, I didn't get a response back from MSFT again, but I tested the connector again a moment ago and while it's albeit slow. It's functional once again! Please test and let me know! 🙂

Anonymous
Not applicable

@cvillegas You are highlighting a different issue than the topic of this thread I believe. The topic of this thread is that the closing and adding of steps to dataflows is very slow.  I just tested again and I'm experiencing the same slow behavior as I have been for the past 3-4 days now.

altbra
Frequent Visitor

Same issue but I figured out that it works well and fast after working hours. The validation which takes 40 minutes during the day is being validated within a minute or two close to midnight.

RenaudB
Frequent Visitor

Same here, the validation time varies wildly depending on the time of the day, but it works much more reliably out of working hours.

I figured it was probably because of the load on our premium instance being much higher during business hours ... But that is really hard to diagnose.

ryan0585
Advocate II

This thread's been blowing up lately... maybe someone at Microsoft will finally take a look.  To go and repro this issue shouldn't be too difficult - I detailed the way I was able to recreate it back on page 2.  Feels like a simple stress test...

cvillegas
Advocate IV

@Anonymous Apologies, I was trying to update people from the multiple other threads about the PPDC, regardless I am experiencing the same behavior as you all with this. 

Anonymous
Not applicable

@RenaudB you mention that you thought it could be the load on your individual premium capacity, but I can save you some validation testin.  Our load on premium capacity is fairly consistent and hasn't changed much over the past two months and the issue only started being noticeable several days ago for us.  Thus, I feel that it isn't so much an individual company's usage of their own premium capacity that is impacting, but rather something on Microsofts end in the servers running these capacities or ineffecienies in the dataflow architecture.  @cvillegas no worries, just wanted to ensure thread didn't deviate from key issue. 

altbra
Frequent Visitor

I submitted a support ticket. The more of us do it, the more attention the problem will get.

altbra
Frequent Visitor

I was checking the whole weekend and Dataflows validation worked like a charm. And it is dead Monday morning again. 😞

Daryl-Lynch-Bzy
Resident Rockstar

I agree - it can be super slow when there are more that a couple of queries added.