Skip to main content
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Register now to learn Fabric in free live sessions led by the best Microsoft experts. From Apr 16 to May 9, in English and Spanish.

PowerQuery Online cannot handle XLSM?

I'm trying to create some Dataflows in the PowerBI Service using PowerQuery Online (becuase for some reason there's no option to create dataflows in the desktop app...). One of the files I need to extract data from is an XLSM file hosted on Sharepoint. I use the sharepoint folder connector to locate the XLSM file and then go to "combine files" under the Binary Column in order to access each of the sheets and it comes up with the following error.

PaulHet_0-1642780632656.png

I can execute this perfectly for XLSX documents online, and even for XLSM documents using PowerQuery on Desktop. Is there any form of workaround or planned bugfix to allow me to access XLSM files using PowerBI Service? Or am I doing something monumentally stupid?

Hi,

Would you like to change the suffix of this xlsm file to the .csv to check if this error can disappear?

Thank you very much!

Best Regards,

Community Support Team _Robert Qin

Comments
v-robertq-msft
Community Support
Status changed to: Investigating

Hi,

Would you like to change the suffix of this xlsm file to the .csv to check if this error can disappear?

Thank you very much!

Best Regards,

PaulHet
Advocate I

Hi Robert,

I can confirm it works fine when the file is XLSX using the Sharepoint Folder connector. It also works fine when using the 'Excel workbook' connector and connecting to the XLSM, it just throws an error when trying to use the Sharepoint Folder Connector to transform an XLSM document on the Dataflow PowerBI Service.

Again, I can also confirm I can access the XLSM document using the Sharepoint Folder Connector through PowerBI Desktop.

v-robertq-msft
Community Support

Hi, 

In my opinion, if you want to get a solution for this kind of dataflow connection problem as soon as possilbe, I suggest you to open a support ticket to get the direct help from the technical support team of Microsoft to have a remot session them to help you to make sure if this is an issue existing in the Power BI.

https://community.powerbi.com/t5/Community-Blog/How-to-create-a-support-ticket-in-Power-BI/ba-p/6830...

https://powerbi.microsoft.com/en-us/support/

Thank you very much!

Best Regards,