Skip to main content
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Register now to learn Fabric in free live sessions led by the best Microsoft experts. From Apr 16 to May 9, in English and Spanish.

PowerPoint Export - Bugs / Issues

Hello - 

I am listing some bugs / issues I have found with Power Point files that are generated by Power BI. Please let me know if I need to provide more detail, thanks! Otherwise very happy with PBI, it just needs some fine tuning.

On Power BI Export to PowerPoint...

• Text boxes lose text alignment and background color (font-family and sizing are OK)
  • Text boxes, shapes, and cards all "superimpose" themselves (with styles applied) onto each other if they overlap
    • Even elements that are 'lower" / "behind" other objects in terms of arrangement, still superimpose on other objects
    • This is probably by design to fuse together nearby objects but it's not figuring out layering priority correctly
  • KPI type visuals lose font format and sizing (they do keep styles like color and background color)
    • Note: you can't change or control font format / style for KPI visuals anyways
  • All objects have hyperlinks to Power BI which is very busy, these open your web browser when you go into presentation mode which is annoying
  • Background images only show up when there is a Power BI element layered above it, otherwise blank
    • HACK: Add a full-sheet Power BI "square shape" that is 100% transparent, 0pt border but beware of superimposing issue and hyperlink issues above)
  • PBI Reports cannot be exported to PowerBI with "interactivity" meaning if you update a slicer or filter in the web browser without saving (very common...), your export to PowerPoint will be the "original" version
    • I realize this is documented as how PowerBI currently exports PPT from back in March 2017 but it should be fixed to at least give the user an option to export with modifications or original.
Comments
v-qiuyu-msft
Community Support

Hi @andrewporter,

1. The issue has been reported before internally: CRI 39559361. Please see below response from PG team: 

Export to PowerPoint is still not GA. It is planned for the coming semester.
This will be fixed before we announce GA.
GA date will be updated here: https://powerbi.microsoft.com/en-us/documentation/powerbi-service-publish-to-powerpoint/

2. I'm not very clear about what you mean. It would be better if you can share some screenshots to clarify the issue. 

3. The issue has been reported before internally: CRI 38950754. This will be fixed before we announce GA.

4. Not very sure what the issue is, please share detail information. 

5. This should be the limitation

Background images will be cropped with the chart's bounding area. It's highly recommended that you remove background images before exporting to PowerPoint.

6. It's a limitation now: 

In-session interactivity such as highlighting and filtering, drill-down, and so on, are not yet supported when exporting to PowerPoint. The exported PowerPoint shows the original visuals as they were saved in the report.

You can submit your idea here: https://ideas.powerbi.com/forums/265200-power-bi-ideas 

Best Regards,
Qiuyun Yu 

andrewporter
Advocate I

Thanks for the update! What specifically do you mean by semester in terms of timeline?

v-qiuyu-msft
Community Support

Hi @andrewporter,

In my opinion, the semester means coming 6 months. You can keep an eye on this article to know the exact GA date: https://powerbi.microsoft.com/en-us/documentation/powerbi-service-publish-to-powerpoint/

Best Regards,
Qiuyun Yu 

vishakhawali
Frequent Visitor

Why doesnt the exported ppt show the Unichar colors when opened on Windows 10