Skip to main content
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Register now to learn Fabric in free live sessions led by the best Microsoft experts. From Apr 16 to May 9, in English and Spanish.

PowerBI service shows dataset refresh when refresh is started from SSMS

It's wonderful that I'm able to refresh a Power BI dataset from SSMS's "Process Database" interface.  The only issue is that the Power BI web interface doesn't show that the dataset is bring refreshed, i.e. by the circle animation to the right of the refresh date:

tuttlem_0-1616560746107.png

After the refresh has completed, the date/time in the 'Refresh' column isn't updated.

Can we update the Power BI front end to show that a refresh has been started from SSMS (or other service), and also accurately show the latest refresh time (regardless of how that dataset was refreshed)?

Thanks!

Comments
v-robertq-msft
Community Support

Hi, @tuttlem 

According to your description, I think you can go to the setting->dataset->Refresh history to see the refresh status of this dataset.

v-robertq-msft_0-1616579290325.png

When the dataset is being refreshed, you can see the status is “In progress”, and you can also see the start and end time of each dataset:

v-robertq-msft_1-1616579290330.png

Usually we name the dataset with the data source name of it, and the data refresh is happened in the background, so I don’t think it will be displayed in the front end.

If you have some ideas of improving the layout of the data refresh interface in the Power BI service, You can go to the Power BI Idea to submit a new idea so that people with the same idea can vote for you. I will also vote for you.

v-robertq-msft_2-1616579290336.png

Thank you very much!

Best Regards,

Community Support Team _Robert Qin

If this post helps, then please consider Accept it as the solution to help the other members find it more quickly.

tuttlem
Regular Visitor

Thanks for your response, Robert. 

I just refreshed a dataset using Microsoft.AnalysisServices.Tabular.dll (via Python), and the refresh history on the settings page still shows that the dataset was last refreshed yesterday. It seems like the PowerBI.com user interface isn't catching on to the fact that I've refresehed the data from the API.

v-robertq-msft
Community Support

Hi, @tuttlem 

As far as I’m concerned, “Refresh history” can only record the information of scheduled refresh, on-demand refresh, and one drive refresh. If you want to catch the refresh information of API refresh, you can try to use rest API to get the refresh history, which can support API refresh, you can follow this document:
https://docs.microsoft.com/en-us/rest/api/power-bi/datasets/getrefreshhistoryingroup

v-robertq-msft_0-1616636659209.png

More info about checking refresh status and history

Best Regards,

Community Support Team _Robert Qin