Skip to main content
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Register now to learn Fabric in free live sessions led by the best Microsoft experts. From Apr 16 to May 9, in English and Spanish.

PowerBI embedded report in MS teams > open in web service link

1. We created a sample report in Power BI Desktop and published in a Premium workspace. The report has been shared with a free Power BI user and the user was able to access the report from this link:

https://app.powerbi.com/groups/me/reports/a21dcaa9-6b35-402a-9ac4-f9111a95595e?ctid=705d07a3-2eea-4f...

We noticed that the above link opens the report from the "My workspace" (see the 1_Workspace_SharedLink.png) therefore the user is able to see the report. If the user wants to open the report from the workspace where the report was published then the message prompting for a Power BI Pro license is displayed.

2. The report has been embedded in MS Teams and the user was able to access the report there (2_MSTeams_Embedded.png).

3. When user click on "Go to website" in MS Teams the message prompting for a Power BI license is displayed (3_Prompt_ProLicense.png). The url for "Go to website" is https://app.powerbi.com/groups/89d3bf1c-72cf-4ff5-8eb2-4757342a749a/reports/a21dcaa9-6b35-402a-9ac4-.... We noticed that this link is also used when the workspace is accessed directly from Power BI Service.

The problem is that we would have liked that when user click on "Go to website" in MS Teams, the report to be opened in Power BI my workspace so user to be able to see it from there. Is there any possibility to implement this, or to allow configuration of the link from MS Teams? 

1. 1_Workspace_SharedLink.png2_MSTeams_Embedded.png3_Prompt_ProLicense.png
Comments
v-qiuyu-msft
Community Support

Hi @AlexandruBogdan,

In Power BI premium app workspace, the free users can't access the report via workspace group/groupguid/report/reportguid though the dashabord/report already shared with him or he is a member of the app workspace.  

As when you click the embedded report in Microsoft team, it uses URL group/groupguid/report/reportguid to access the report. As mentioned above, this is not supported. You need to assign Pro license for this user or try Pro trial. 

Best Regards,
Qiuyun Yu 

Dusha
Regular Visitor

Hi, @v-qiuyu-msft,

I wonder now if this is an expected behavior in Teams?

Is there any valid reason behind to make Teams generating the external link with 'group/groupguid/report/reportguid' which is not working for non-Pro users rather than with 

'groups/me/reports/reportguid' which will work for standard users (members of the same workspace / with shared access)?

Is it 'by design' in Teams or a 'bug' which could be addressed in the future releases of MS Teams?

Thank you