Skip to main content
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Earn the coveted Fabric Analytics Engineer certification. 100% off your exam for a limited time only!

PowerBI: Unable to connect with SQL database with Sept Update - Error during Pre-login handshake

I am all of a sudden getting an error on all of my reports connected to an external db using Windows creds. to login.   This just started occuring 2 days ago and we have yet to resolve.   

Error reads: 

Microsoft SQL: A connection was successfully established with the server, but then an error occurred during the pre-login handshake. (provider: HTTP Provider, error: 0 - )

Any Help would be so greatly appreciated. 

Comments
GN-MS
Employee

Yes, there will be an update to the desktop as well.

v-chuncz-msft
Community Support

Hi everyone,

Power BI customers using the September(SU09) Gateway or Power BI desktop with an on-premises SQL data source that has a self-signed certificate and "Force Encryption" set to Yes may experience issues with reports using Import or Direct Query modes and see the message "A connection was successfully established with the server, but then an error occurred during the pre-login handshake". As a workaround, customers can install a previous version of Gateway and Desktop versions as needed. Engineers have identified the root cause and an ETA for a fix will be provided soon.

You may keep an eye on the Awareness.

Anonymous
Not applicable

Anyone know if the October 2020 release of the Data Gateway has fixed this issue?

musicbydannyd
Advocate IV

Excellent question @Anonymous ... I have not yet had a chance to republish any of my broken datasets.

Anyone else?

GrantH_SMN

@Anonymous, I was told by one of my Power BI Users that on October 15th, Microsoft released an updated version of the September 2020 Power BI Desktop.  My user confirmed that the updated September Update resolved the issue.

I haven't heard anything regarding the Gateway or the October update, but thought this might be helpful.

Anonymous
Not applicable

@GN-MS@v-chuncz-msft:

Have either of you heard anything about whether the October 2020 update of the Data Gateway has fixed this issue?

GN-MS
Employee

My peer team is confirming that GW has released Oct release with the fix. In fact, GW Oct release came out bit earlier than usual to accomodate availability of the fix sooner.

Anonymous
Not applicable

@GN-MS,

You said your peer teem "is confirming" that the October release of the Data Gateway software contains a fix for this issue. Does that mean your team is currently trying to get confirmation, or that they have already received confirmation? Sorry, it wasn't clear from the wording. 

Thanks,

James

GN-MS
Employee

Please read it as "has confirmed" :). Oct gateway release is done and has the fix.