Skip to main content
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Register now to learn Fabric in free live sessions led by the best Microsoft experts. From Apr 16 to May 9, in English and Spanish.

PowerBI: Unable to connect with SQL database with Sept Update - Error during Pre-login handshake

I am all of a sudden getting an error on all of my reports connected to an external db using Windows creds. to login.   This just started occuring 2 days ago and we have yet to resolve.   

Error reads: 

Microsoft SQL: A connection was successfully established with the server, but then an error occurred during the pre-login handshake. (provider: HTTP Provider, error: 0 - )

Any Help would be so greatly appreciated. 

Comments
musicbydannyd
Advocate IV

@Allisond, I am experiencing same issue (SQL Server connection), but only with datasets using incremental refresh... same with you?

gerane

I am also seeing this issue.

Allisond
Advocate II

@musicbydannyd   Yes,  our team just fixed by removing the update.  Refresh is working now.  

musicbydannyd
Advocate IV

@Allisond, ditto... removed inc. refresh and was able to republish to service. I hope MS has a fix soon!

mhoward

For clarity, this issue isn't resolved - rolling back an update is a temporary workaround at best, and I'm not seeing a way to prevent automatic updates so it could happen again at any time.  This issue is affecting multiple users on multiple PC's.  I'm currently on Version: 2.85.681.0 64-bit (September 2020).

jmalone
Resolver III

I am seeing this issue as well.

Anonymous
Not applicable

We're seeing this same error when attempting to refresh datasets in the Power BI Service via our On-Prem Data Gateway. Anyone found a workaround yet?

Rafael_JAV

I've got the same problema here.

Cannot create a new visual due to this connecting issue to th SQL server database.

Version: 2.85.681.0 64-bit (September 2020)

Any workaraund yet?

Supp
Regular Visitor

Any news? 

Same problem here with Version: 2.85.681.0 64-bit (September 2020)

connecting to sql server 2016

Manually reverting to august version can't be considered a workaround if the september update is still being pushed

rigelng1995
Frequent Visitor

@Allisond  How did you remove the update?

Do you have a saved copy of the earlier version? 

Does anyone know how to disable this annoying monthly update thing?