Skip to main content
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Earn the coveted Fabric Analytics Engineer certification. 100% off your exam for a limited time only!

PowerBI Service - DataLoad incomplete without giving any error or warning

Refreshing the same Report fom PowerBI Desktop gives all the data, but not from PowerBI Service...

Of course, data in the source stays untouched during the refresh time. 

How to show:

1. Modelling DataModell and Report in PowerBI Desktop
  2. Refreshing Data in PowerBI Desktop -> fine
  3. Uploading to PowerBI Service
  4. Checking, that the connection to Azure SQL is authenticated
  5. in PowerBI Service click "Refresh now"
  6. after a few seconds the refresh is "completed", but just a little part of all the Data is loaded. No Error or Warning shows up. Refresh history reports Refresh as "Completed"

Architecture: Azure SQL-DB S2 -> PowerBI

Workspace: O365Group

User: PowerBI PRO License

Maybe it is because of the limited performance of the Azure SQL-DB (Elastic Pool S2, 50 DTUs), but it should still show an error or a warning!

Did anyone face the same issue? Thanks for any hint!

Comments
v-qiuyu-msft
Community Support

Hi @Anonymous,

I'm not able to reproduce the issue on my side. In your pbix file, after you retrieve data from Azure SQL database, is there any specific step you have performed in Query Editor? Does the issue happen to other reports with the same Azure SQL database? 

Please download the pbix file after the dataset is refreshed, open it in Power BI desktop, check if complete data display in the report. 

Best Regards,
Qiuyun Yu 

Anonymous
Not applicable

Hi Qiuyun Yu,

Thank you for your comment.

The downloaded pbix file it shows the same data as in PowerBI Service. But refreshing in Desktop gave me a proper load, while there was data missing when refreshed in Powerbi Service.

There are a lot of Data transformation steps in Query Editor. Independend of this case I recommended the Customer to avoide using the query Editor and do the DataTransformation in the Azure SQL. Now the refresh works stable as expected.

The question is: why is a Refresh marked as „completed“ even if it was aborted? There should be a warning or error. It’s a matter of trust to be sure that a successful refresh was realy successful.

Did anyone ever face the same issue?

v-qiuyu-msft
Community Support

Hi @Anonymous,

Regarding this issue, it's hard to provide further support on forum side. I would suggest you create a support ticket and let Microsoft engineers to look into your environment. 

Support Ticket.gif

Best Regards,
Qiuyun Yu 

v-qiuyu-msft
Community Support
Status changed to: Delivered