Skip to main content
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Earn the coveted Fabric Analytics Engineer certification. 100% off your exam for a limited time only!

PowerBI (Sept 2020) issue with BigQuery connection

After updated to PowerBI Sept 2020, all connection to PowerBI are failed. 
We can't "get Data" or refresh exsisting data in PowerBI Desktop. Moreover, if I published the pudated pbix file to the cloud. The refresh on the cloud failed as well.
While the same file can be open, refresh and get data from BigQuery normally with PowerBI Aug-2020.

Something went wrong
There was an error when processing the data in the dataset.
Please try again later or contact support. If you contact support, please provide these details.
Data source error: ERROR [HY000] [Microsoft][BigQuery] (131) Unable to authenticate with Google BigQuery Storage API. Check your account permissions.. The exception was raised by the IDataReader interface. Please review the error message and provider documentation for further information and corrective action.
Cluster URI: WABI-SOUTH-EAST-ASIA-B-PRIMARY-redirect.analysis.windows.net
Activity ID: 4fe617a8-b1d2-4f54-a41c-efcf5978b0c5
Request ID: a0214516-5d5e-4cd5-9272-19811f52078d
Time: 2020-09-23 00:14:42Z

Comments
Anonymous
Not applicable

Silimar here too, started this morning with automated refresh

Unable to authenticate with Google BigQuery Storage API. Check your account permissions.. The exception was raised by the IDbCommand interface.

kittanon
Regular Visitor

Same with me. 

Sit here to hear the good news soon.

v-yuta-msft
Community Support

@tanakornp ,

This is a known issue, please try solution as below:

please update the ini file to introduce Timeout=0

Regards,

Jimmy Tao 

tanakornp
Advocate I

@v-yuta-msft 

Could you elaborate more on the ini file? Where is that file again ?

Anonymous
Not applicable

Same problem on my side. 
Very problematic as a lot of people in our organization switched to last Tuesday power BI version and can't connect to Big Query anymore....

Anonymous
Not applicable

Similar problem here. The existing tables in my model connected to Bigquery do not update any longer on Power BI Desktop and I can't connect to new datasets. The only difference is that the files are being updated just fine on the cloud version.

I'll try to open a ticket with Microsoft, because the problem is clearly on their side, considering the files are being updated on the cloud, in previous versions of Power BI (July and August) and even on other vendors tools (Tableau, for instance).

Anonymous
Not applicable

Hello, 

As not many  relevant answers from Micorosft, we found a workaround waiting for new power BI desktop release. 

You can roll back to the last version of Power BI Desktop here: 

https://docs.microsoft.com/en-us/power-bi/fundamentals/desktop-latest-update-archive

No problem with the August version for instance. 

AgTooOldForThis
Frequent Visitor

@Anonymous 

Thanks for the link.  "No problem with the August version" is referring only to local desktop refreshes, correct?  Or did this also help on-demand and scheduled published server refreshes as well?

For example, I have July desktop with no problems to refresh locally on desktop.  However, I continue to have problems with one published server dataset that will not refresh.  This is similar to what others have posted (i.e. 

https://community.powerbi.com/t5/Service/BIgQuery-Account-Permissions/td-p/1390692).

rmcvicar
Helper I

Did this get resolved? I have a large PBI that after publishing after the September Power BI Desktop seems to have a refresh problem online and now in Power BI Desktop if I download and attempt to refresh.  Never does.

AgTooOldForThis
Frequent Visitor

@rmcvicar assigning the predefined GCP IAM role "BigQuery Read Session User" that was mentioned in a similar thread worked for me.

https://community.powerbi.com/t5/Service/BIgQuery-Account-Permissions/td-p/1390692