Skip to main content
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Register now to learn Fabric in free live sessions led by the best Microsoft experts. From Apr 16 to May 9, in English and Spanish.

PowerBI Reporting Server - D3JSVisual Can't display this visual

We are trying to use the D3JS Visual tool in one of our dashboards. From the PowerBI RS Desktop version, everything is working and the visuals are displayed. However, when uploading the Dashboard to PowerBI Reporting Server we are getting this error. 

bspiteri001_0-1667896491329.png

Can you kindly advise what is to be done to solve this issue?

Thanks

Kind regards

Hi @bspiteri001 ,

You can use Custom Visuals with Power BI Report Server; however there is one limitation you should be aware of. If you build your custom visuals using an API version that is greater than the one that was released with PBIRS then it won't work. You need to make sure you build your visual using supporteed custom visual API.

Best Regards,
Community Support Team _ Caitlyn

Comments
v-xiaoyan-msft
Community Support
Status changed to: Investigating

Hi @bspiteri001 ,

You can use Custom Visuals with Power BI Report Server; however there is one limitation you should be aware of. If you build your custom visuals using an API version that is greater than the one that was released with PBIRS then it won't work. You need to make sure you build your visual using supporteed custom visual API.

Best Regards,

bspiteri001
Frequent Visitor

Hi @v-xiaoyan-msft 

Thanks for your response. 

Just to give an overview our PowerBI RS server version is Version1.15.8300.38452(September 2022). 

The D3.js version were are developing the dashboard is version 1.2 as per the below screenshot.

bspiteri001_0-1667991184033.png

Can you please advise what and how I can check with regard to the version that is allowed within PBIRS and also maybe a guideline on what I need to do to solve this issue?

Thanks

Kind Regards,

Brendon Spiteri 

v-xiaoyan-msft
Community Support

Hi @bspiteri001 ,

This doesn't seem to be a bug from RS, but a mismatch between the development of custom visuals and the PBI update.

We see that a super user named d_gosbell from the RS forum has given a good summary of this problem:

“Unfortunately because most of the producers of custom visuals are targetting the cloud version of Power BI  they don't consistently publish the API version they are targetting. 

The one way to know for sure is to download the .pbiviz file to your machine. Then if you rename it to a .zip file you can open it up and there should be a folder that has a .pbiviz.json file in it. This is just a text file, if you open it in a text editor like Notepad or Visual Studio Code then search for the text "apiVersion" you will find the api version that the visual was developed against.”

Best Regards,

bspiteri001
Frequent Visitor

Hi @v-xiaoyan-msft 

I found the version of the visual: 1.9.0 . However, I am not sure how I can see the API version released with PBIRS. Can you kindly advise how I can check it out? 

Thanks

Kind Regards

Brendon Spiteri