Skip to main content
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Earn the coveted Fabric Analytics Engineer certification. 100% off your exam for a limited time only!

PowerBI Report Server Wont Assign Dataset

I'm a server admin trying to get PowerBI Report server ready for our developers to begin using it in place of SSRS 2016.

We installed PowerBI Report Server, the October release, on a Windows 2016 Server that hosts our Test SSRS 2016. We then uploaded all the Data Sources, Datasets, and RDLs that are in SSRS 2016 into PowerBI Reports Server Web Portal.

I was able to configure the DataSource, Data Sets, and most of the RDLs from the Web Portal, but I'm hitting a general error when trying to assign a Datasets for reports that require Datasets.

The only error I receive is below. I checked the Event Logs to find nothing of consequence for this issue.

PowerBI Report Manager > Public Reports > Education Outcomes Continuation Tab > Manage > Shared Datasets > 

2017-11-16-Image_001144923.png

2017-11-16-Image_001132911.png

We have an Dev instance of PowerBI Reports Server that is installed on a Windows 2016 Server without any other Report server products. On this report server, we successfully deployed these reports from visual studio with the config file. These automatically had the Datasets set.

So, to recap, I haven't been able to set the Datasets fromt he Web Portal, but our developers are able to do so when deploying from Visual Studio. We need to be able to set those datasets manually from the Web Portal.

Comments
KayZak

I'm a server admin trying to get PowerBI Report server ready for our developers to begin using it in place of SSRS 2016.

We installed PowerBI Report Server, the October release, on a Windows 2016 Server that hosts our Test SSRS 2016. We then uploaded all the Data Sources, Datasets, and RDLs that are in SSRS 2016 into PowerBI Reports Server Web Portal.

I was able to configure the DataSource, Data Sets, and most of the RDLs from the Web Portal, but I'm hitting a general error when trying to assign a Datasets for reports that require Datasets.

The only error I receive is below. I checked the Event Logs to find nothing of consequence for this issue.

PowerBI Report Manager > Public Reports > Education Outcomes Continuation Tab > Manage > Shared Datasets > 

2017-11-16-Image_001144923.png

2017-11-16-Image_001132911.png

We have an Dev instance of PowerBI Reports Server that is installed on a Windows 2016 Server without any other Report server products. On this report server, we successfully deployed these reports from visual studio with the config file. These automatically had the Datasets set.

So, to recap, I haven't been able to set the Datasets fromt he Web Portal, but our developers are able to do so when deploying from Visual Studio. We need to be able to set those datasets manually from the Web Portal.

v-qiuyu-msft
Community Support

Hi @KayZak,

I can reproduce the issue in Power BI report server October version. The issue occurs after we change the shared dataset and click Save button. 

@mgmeyer@riccardomuti@Jon-Heide It seems we can't change shared dataset for rdl reports in PBI RS October version web portal. Is it a known issue? 

Best Regards,
Qiuyun Yu 

v-qiuyu-msft
Community Support

Hi @KayZak,

I have reported this issue internally: MSSOLVE 117112017185253. Will update here once I get any information.  

Best Regards,
Qiuyun Yu

Vicky_Song
Impactful Individual
Status changed to: Accepted

v-qiuyu-msft
Community Support

Hi @KayZak,

Our Product Team confirmed that this is a Regression in Power BI Report Server and requires a Hotfix. We have already filed a Hotfix request and we expect this to be included in the next Power BI Report Server Release.

Best Regards,
Qiuyun Yu 

niallhannon
Helper II

When is the next release due?